• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can a Yaesu VX-8DR take the place of my minitor V ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrnewuser

I have a minitor V that listens on low-band (46.xx mhz) and is programmed with a PL tone to alert when a page from my agency comes through (otherwise, it stays silent).

If I buy a Yaesu VX-8DR, I see that the frequency coverage is adequate to cover this low-band, but can I properly program a VX-8DR with my PL tone so that it behaves just like my minitor ?

I do not use any of the recording functions of the minitor, so I don't care about that ... I just wonder if I can mimic the *paging* aspect of the minitor with this Yaesu radio ?

Thanks.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
No it cannot, the radio will receive all the traffic that is broadcasted on that channel. If you want a radio that will mute and unmute you will need a non-amateur radio.

rrnewuser

Ugh. Is that some kind of weird regulatory thing, or is that just a strange use-case that nobody caters to ?

It made so much sense ... why carry the minitor when I could carry a minitor that also does X Y and Z ?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
It's a feature that really isn't ham radio related. There is nothing saying that they can't make the radio have a pager feature.

Just so we are on the same page, your pager uses two-tones for it's alerting. PL tone is a inaudible tone that unmutes a radio when the matching PL is seen on the frequency.

Here is a good site that explains two-tone paging
http://www.genave.com/two-tone_paging.htm

rrnewuser

Ok, thanks.

So, if I may hijack my own thread ...

What devices that are capable of doing minitor-like functions (listen on a low-band freq. for a PL tone to alert on) can also do other things ....

other things like:

- am/fm
- GMRS and/or FRS ?
- anything ?

The point is, I have to carry *something* with me everywhere I go, so I can either carry the minitor which does almost nothing, or I could carry (insert device here) which does more than that. What options are there ?

Really bummed the yaesu can't do that, since that would be a very nice, full-featured device to carry, and is the same size or smaller than the minitor...

DisasterGuy

You aren't going to find a portable radio that covers low band with two tone decode and also covers the other stuff you are looking for. Further the Yaesu would not be legal to operate on FRS or GMRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wa2chj

DisasterGuy is absolutely correct. Minitor Vs cannot do PL/CTCSS or DCS. They can only do 2 tone and long tone (audible) alerts. Being on low band is the issue. Pretty much no one makes portable gear on low band anymore. For VHF and UHF there are any number of radios from Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, etc. that will do 2 tone decode.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
DisasterGuy is absolutely correct. Minitor Vs cannot do PL/CTCSS or DCS. They can only do 2 tone and long tone (audible) alerts. Being on low band is the issue. Pretty much no one makes portable gear on low band anymore. For VHF and UHF there are any number of radios from Motorola, Vertex, Kenwood, etc. that will do 2 tone decode.

Well this is a nitpick, but technically VHF starts at 30mhz, so the frequency referred to by the OP is still VHF. But I imagine we understand what you meant well enough.

rrnewuser

Why don't radios have free-form, or arbitrary tone definition ?

That is, never mind PL tones or CTCSS or DCS or whatever ... instead, you program the radio and tell it "if you hear thus and such, do this" (and then you would program in tone pitch, duration, repetitions, etc.)

So then we don't care what the radio supports, we just describe the behavior that's going to come in over the air and tell it what to do when it hears that. Theoretically you could program the radio "when you hear DTMF 867-5309, un-squelch" :)

bamx2

Should be pointed out, the reason a minitor doesn't do much, is because it is a life-safety radio. Even if a VX could do two tone I wouldn't trust anyone's life to that radio. The Minitor is engineered to have high reliability as a pager. In a multi use radio, you will see lots of things they are good at, but nothing is great. The minitor is great at being a pager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ11DLN

You could get one of these. It won't do all you ask for but it will do the 2-tone, let you transmit (I'm presuming you're authorized), and some of the rest.

Kenwood - TK-190

Lo-band, 2-tone, CTCSS/DCS/DTMF, 16 channels. I'll leave it up to someone else to find a price but I doubt it will go much over $200 at most.

My department originally bought H-T's similar to this one in the early 90s, when we finally got central paging, because for about $20 more than an overpriced pager you also had transmit capability (and 4 channels...we thought that was great back then). They never let us down. Whether or not this one might serve the OP's needs, he will have to decide for himself. :cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.