Can an antenna be made in a similar package as this, but get much longer range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

didymus

I am trying to find an antenna that I can use for picking up wifi miles out and also effectively use with SDR. I'm not really sure if that exists. Making antennas what what type are used for what bands is a topic I don't know very well. I'm trying to find something that doesn't stick way far out from the vehicle by itself. Honestly though, whats inside of that plastic case doesn't even look like much of an antenna. Just kinda hoping someone chimes in with enough information where I can take it and start to actually figure out how possible what I'm trying to do is.

My main priority though is trying to pick up wifi signals beyond 1.2 miles when I'm way out in the sticks. Preferably something with "Monitor Mode" that I could also use for wireless sec assessments. Beyond that I'd really like to dick around with an SDR or some other kind of HAM radio with it. I'm not sure if those stubby "mini-whips" will do this.

It's hard because I don't really know the right questions to ask. I'm trying to avoid having multiple antennas. Is that even possible?

Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
WiFi isn't going to carry that far unless you have some big directional antennas on each end and it's in a very remote area. Since there is only so much bandwidth set aside for WiFi, the channels get reused by others. At a great distance, trying to just pick your WiFi out of all that noise is going to be difficult.

Depending on your specific need, there may be other solutions.

Combing multiple transceivers into one antenna can be done, but it requires some tuned cavities to make sure transmit power from one radio doesn't get into the receiver of the other.

majoco

Stirrer
Google for... Coffee can WiFi extender

There's heaps of schemes there - some are better (much better!) than others.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
What is the source of the WiFi signals you're trying to pick up? Are you looking to obtain internet access from open hot spots that might be within a few miles of your location?

If so, those sources will most likely be simple wireless routers located indoors and generally near ground level. If that's the case, you will need something with a fair bit of gain. Something 'small that doesn't stick out' just isn't going to provide that.

Look for something like a WiFi Yagi antenna. I'm not recommending this one, just giving you an idea of what they look like --> https://www.amazon.com/Tupavco-TP513-Antenna-2-4GHz-17dBi/dp/B008Z4I7WQ

w2xq

Mentor
Assuming you have a cellphone with one of the carriers, consider adding a Jetpack (VZW) or equivalent to your account. That will give you WiFi for anything you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.