Can anyone help with my first contact on 40 meters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beamin

Premium Subscriber
I have a bitx radio I put together but have yet to make contact. Its about 7 watts and all I can seem to pick up are people on skip who are running several hundred watts on the east coast as far as new england down to southern florida. I heard this radio can go 300 kilometers(or miles?) I think. I'm available almost 24/7 and just looking for my first contact. I dont have an SWR meter so Its hard to tell, my antenna is a 68' long wire from a 2nd story window to a tree at about 80' NE with a ground and an 9 or 11:1 unun.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
At that power level, and a simple antenna, likely your best bets for a contact would be on PSK31 (7035.15, I believe) or CW (yes, SSB is possible, but more difficult). And whoever told you about a range limit on that radio was more than a bit misleading. Given the right band conditions and time of night (this is primarily a night time band, tho short distance contacts - 300km?- during the day are possible) you can certainly go a lot further than that.

There's a TON of software that can transceive on PSK31; Digipan, MixW are but two. There are many others. And the antenna isn't a long wire by any stretch - by chance did you get a PAR End Fed or similar (good choice if you did - I used to know several QRPers that used them...)

Mike

Last edited:

beamin

Premium Subscriber
At that power level, and a simple antenna, likely your best bets for a contact would be on PSK31 (7035.15, I believe) or CW (yes, SSB is possible, but more difficult). And whoever told you about a range limit on that radio was more than a bit misleading. Given the right band conditions and time of night (this is primarily a night time band, tho short distance contacts - 300km?- during the day are possible) you can certainly go a lot further than that.

There's a TON of software that can transceive on PSK31; Digipan, MixW are but two. There are many others. And the antenna isn't a long wire by any stretch - by chance did you get a PAR End Fed or similar (good choice if you did - I used to know several QRPers that used them...)

Mike

When I said it was a 68' long wire I meant its length is 68' long. Not a "long wire" I don't think. This is all home made stuff, even the radio is all recycled materials: case is from a model car display box, knobs are wire nuts, speaker is from a bluetooth speaker modual, mic is made from copper wire and shrink wrap, screen is from an arduino kit (negative blue instead of green)..

So with those programs I could add a microphone jack to my radio, but I don't think my lap top has a mic. input. Its a new dell inspiron 13 7000 series. Unless there is a way to do that. Do they sell a USB device with mic in and speaker out?

W4UVV

www.qrz.com

I have a bitx radio I put together but have yet to make contact. Its about 7 watts and all I can seem to pick up are people on skip who are running several hundred watts on the east coast as far as new england down to southern florida. I heard this radio can go 300 kilometers(or miles?) I think. I'm available almost 24/7 and just looking for my first contact. I dont have an SWR meter so Its hard to tell, my antenna is a 68' long wire from a 2nd story window to a tree at about 80' NE with a ground and an 9 or 11:1 unun.

--------------
If not currently a member join www.qrz.com and post a help request in the closest appropriate subject related section.

John
W4UVV

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
beamin- I can usually get into MD, but 7 watts on your end is going to be a challenge. We'll need very good band conditions for local coverage....and 40 has been lousy for that lately. Late afternoon / early evening MIGHT work for us. If you want to try a sked PM me with a time, possible freq, and your callsign.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Threads merged. Please don't start multiple threads asking the same question. Thanks.

I'm sure given enough time and with a little patience, you'll make a contact. I used a Heathkit HW8 for years which has less power than what you've got. You might want to look at your antenna setup.

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Beamin-

As the 'rig' is 40 meters only and you have no way to 'tune' the antenna, I would suggest that you build a 40 meter dipole and just feed it with coax. The dipole would be a much better match to your radio (without any testing)and therefore much more effective. A dipole can be made using ordinary wire and for 40 meters would be around 67 feet fed in the middle. If you give your location and callsign or PM me I would be happy to listen for or call you. It may be that you may want to 'work' someone while on the phone (or messaging) them. I remember my first HF rig (a Ten-Tec Agronaut model 509 5 watts). it was a challenge as I did not know much about antennas and most of my signal was likely burned up in the transmatch.

I would suggest you look around and buy, build or barrow a SWR meter -the antenna is where the 'rubber meets the road'. If you set up a dipole, you can 'trim' it in an afternoon and then remove the SWR meter until you change something.

BTW I do agree that 40 is a nighttime band at those power levels 40 watts or more and you can find somebody almost any time.

Last edited:

beamin

Premium Subscriber
Setting up BITX now, ready when ever! This is so exciting!!!! Im a dork I know :)

beamin

Premium Subscriber
OK I have my SDR set up to find stray tx's and the bit x is up and running getting a good amount of activity.

beamin

Premium Subscriber
Two people on 7.1343 but they are running high power and dont think they can hear me.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The OP is in Baltimore so you should be within ground wave coverage on 40M. I write "should" because 40 has been "long" when it is even usable, with a wide local "skip zone".

beamin

Premium Subscriber
Firing up the BITX now seen to be going into ideal conditions. Will be on the qrp SSB call out freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.