Can anyone ID this antenna? It's on a Border Patrol vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio10-8

Also posted in Federal Monitoring, Sorry if this was wrong to due but I am trying to reach as many of us RR readers as possible and I know some of us just read specific topics while others read them all.

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
I think it's a TCDOD antenna - Traffic Control Device Overkill Detection.

Sorry.... couldn't resist

Last edited:

radio10-8

Not a joke,

Maybe I should photo shop out the traffic light and the light pole, what I am really interested in is the white antenna on the top of this vehicle. some have told me it is for Wi-Fi, APCO 25 digital and maybe an Air to Ground antenna.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Looks like a Reach electric toothbrush in about 3:1 scale.

P25 doesn't need a special antenna.

Does Border Patrol have wireless video cameras? Could they be watching video in their trucks?

RIPPED407

man traffic lights with 5 bulbs must get confusing.. LOL JK But id venture to say the white ant is for receiving video..

and major LOLS to the toothbrush comment.. HEHEHE

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
radio10-8 said:
Maybe I should photo shop out the traffic light and the light pole
OK there, "not a joke" - lighten up a little. A little silly harmless comment won't impede anyone from properly identifying your beloved white mystery antenna. Being from FL, the traffic light freaked me out a little. Sorry I offended you.

BTW, the meaning of life isn't always provided within 24 hours of the original post. Sometimes, but not always. I'm confident that someone with the correct info will chime in shortly.

pogbobo

Gilligan said:
Oh I feel stupid...

dont ... i just got it too :(

hahah

radio10-8 said:
Maybe I should photo shop out the traffic light and the light pole, what I am really interested in is the white antenna on the top of this vehicle. some have told me it is for Wi-Fi, APCO 25 digital and maybe an Air to Ground antenna.

I honestly don't know what that is ... sorry man, I'm sure someone with chime in with knowledge of it, just be patient :)

back on topic! :wink:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It's a special soft flexible antenna. It was designed so illegals jumping our border fence would not injure themselves if they fell on top of it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A gain VHF hi or UHF antenna perhaps? The length of the whip suggests a VHF quarter wave, but the size of that loading coil has me confused. I've seen 5/8 wave designs on 2 meters with coils at the base about that size...but then the length of the whip would be different. Perhaps the whip is sealed for weatherproofing. Perhaps that 'coil' at the base is really a spacer of some kind, and the whip is fed through some sort of a matching network....

Interesting 73 mike

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Don't mean to derail the thread, but with regards to the five-pod traffic light, perhaps it's like they are here in Alberta:

Top two are solid red and always light up together ... not sure why, maybe a "double hint" to people to stop.
Third one down is solid amber, like the middle one is on three-pod lights.
Fourth one down is a two-color arrow (LEDs), green when it needs to be and amber when it needs to be as well, for directional advance turns.
Last one down is solid green, like the bottom one on three-pod lights.

Anyway, carry on... :)

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Jay911 said:
Don't mean to derail the thread, but with regards to the five-pod traffic light, perhaps it's like they are here in Alberta:

Top two are solid red and always light up together ... not sure why, maybe a "double hint" to people to stop.
Third one down is solid amber, like the middle one is on three-pod lights.
Fourth one down is a two-color arrow (LEDs), green when it needs to be and amber when it needs to be as well, for directional advance turns.
Last one down is solid green, like the bottom one on three-pod lights.

Anyway, carry on... :)

Maybe It's just because I don't travel out of state much, but I don't see what is so unusual about the traffic light. We have them all over here in MN. The top 3 are the standard red, yellow, and green. The 4th one down is a yellow turn arrow and the bottom one is a green turn arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.