• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can anyone ID this antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone tell me who makes this antenna? A friend is trying to fix some radio issues with the school bus company and one problem he found is that some have the wrong antenna (band) mounted. This is low band, and what he really needs to know is if it uses and NMO mount.

Thanks.

Antenna.jpg

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That sure looks like an NMO mount from the bottom.

There's a company called antennas.us that sells antennas with a similar ribbed base coil like that, but not sure who makes them for that vendor. I've not seen any designs like that from the larger manufacturers.

I'd be concerned about water intrusion. Slathering silicone all over the base like that isn't a good solution. Also, getting a good ground plane and low SWR can be very difficult if it is a low band radio.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Part of the problem is that they are connected to VHF Hi radios! If he knows what kind of base it is, he can at least put the right band antenna on it.

He's going to climb up there when he has some time and try to remove the antenna and take a look at it.

This is not his primary job with the company, so he can only do it when he has some extra time.

You can't make this stuff up.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at their site.

900mhz

That is a Motorola Spectrum antenna. Unscrew the antenna off the NMO mount and look inside where the tab is...there should be markings indicating the frequency range it would cover.

cmdrwill

Yes a Motorola Spectrum antenna. There are a lot of knockoff antennas that 'look like' the Spectrum antennas.
Altho the Spectrum low band antennas did not hold up very well, especially on tow trucks.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
That is either a Motorola Spectrum antenna OR a knock off. If you unscrew it and look in the bottom the band should be listed there. That is an NMO mount on an L-Bracket. If he doesn't have an SWR meter at the very least then he should let someone who knows what they're doing handle this. What frequency is the radio on?

Taking a better look at the pic I do believe it even says Spectrum on the plastic.

garys

Premium Subscriber
My friend checked it with his antenna tuner and it's tuned to 43.74. Which might be one of the frequencies used in a different contract. Seems each town specifies what radio system the company has to use. There is a mix of Low band, VHF, UHF, and even some 900 mhz systems.

He knows what he's doing. He has a ham and commercial license.

Their radio shop has no clue what's going on.

Thanks. Motorola Spectrum would make sense. They do have some town contracts which require low band radios and it's possible that they have shuffled some buses around.

Last edited:

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
My friend checked it with his antenna tuner and it's tuned to 43.74. Which might be one of the frequencies used in a different contract. Seems each town specifies what radio system the company has to use. There is a mix of Low band, VHF, UHF, and even some 900 mhz systems.

Thanks. Motorola Spectrum would make sense. They do have some town contracts which require low band radios and it's possible that they have shuffled some buses around.
The best thing to do is verify the programming of the radio OR model number to see which band it is. Select the proper antenna and then tune it to that radio.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Remember that the whip is cut to frequency. If the frequency you want to use it for is lower, you will need to replace the whip and cut it to the proper length.

900mhz

Maybe I'm missing something but it sure seems a shame to not use the giant ground plane on top of that school bus.
The antenna would not last long...tree branches and other low hanging objects will make placing it there a case of futility...

ecps92

43.74 Would be the Weymouth/Abington/Randolph operations

clbsquared

The name is literally stamped onto the bottom of the base. I can make out a few letters by the angle of the picture, but not all of them. And yes, that looks to be a standard NMO mount.

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think they are also using it for Whitman, but I'm not completely sure. It's definitely First Student, though.

43.74 Would be the Weymouth/Abington/Randolph operations

garys

Premium Subscriber
It's not so clear on a phone screen, which is what my friend was using when he took the picture. It wasn't all that easy to see on a bigger screen for that matter.

Thanks to everyone who helped answer my original question. Everyone can of course feel free to speculate endlessly why who ever installed the antenna didn't do things they way that THEY would have.

The name is literally stamped onto the bottom of the base. I can make out a few letters by the angle of the picture, but not all of them. And yes, that looks to be a standard NMO mount.

ecps92

Abington Office, on Rte-18 which covers, Weymouth, Randolph, Abington, etc etc and Whitman
I think they are also using it for Whitman, but I'm not completely sure. It's definitely First Student, though.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber

After looking at it for a while I do believe it's a Motorola Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.