• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can Anyone Identify a Moto connector? Or perhaps suggest one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiocar

Salty Coxswain
So before posting I've done my prerequisite and courteous 4 or 5 hours research before coming before the well versed and knowledgeable forum that is Rad-Ref. Sadly I couldn't find any information on the dilemma that I came across earlier today.

So while running the streets of northeast Los Angeles county I've found a guy trying to get rid of fifty or so lightly used moto microphones (maybe dumped by a federal or parking service agency, mostly HMN1090s. XTL and I think PM connectors, some vintage ones as well') for 10 bucks each! (Liquidators... am I right?) I was like... "I got you fam, run me 3 of those h*es." I had the idea of using them as an upgraded replacement for the 4 pin Uniden mic that came with my Pro 510xl.

My question is, does anybody know of any 4 pin to 10 pin adjunct or know of any schematic that is available for wiring a Motorola OEM audio radio cable to a 4 pin connector.

I have a general understanding of electrical literacy and I am familiar with Uniden's vintage method of pinning, ie, (check at my latin homie) 4 pin mic input, mic gnd for the female jack. And a little on PTT closure like the (PTT) pin and (GND) pin. However, I am nowhere near proficient enough to dive into something like this blindly.

I have found a few Moto Car Mics that is wired up to a 4-pin connector on eBay but the sellers are fairly tight-lipped so that's that.

Any advice, tips, thoughts, observations, and opinions are greatly appreciated

TL;DR: 4 pin to 10 pin Motorola Microphone (HMN1090) wiring method or adapter?

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows, what is the 10 pin connector called on the hmn1090... Mechanical Name or part number?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Often the CB's use dynamic microphone elements. The Motorolas use a condenser mic. They won't be compatible without a huge amount of work. That'll include supplying bias power to the Motorola mic from the CB, matching impedance, and sorting out the push to talk. That'll mean you need more than 4 pins on the mic connector.

While it won't improve the audio, one approach would be to gut the Motorola microphone and disassemble the Uniden mic. Install the Uniden innards inside the Motorola housing.
Back a long time ago when I had a CB with a microphone that had horrible ergonomics like yours, I did the same thing.

As for the 10 pin connector on those mic's, I'm sure Motorola has a part number for it, but more than likely they just sell you the whole cable. Looking at the HMN1090's I have, it's molded to the cable. They are, as far as I know, specific to Motorola.

Radiocar

Salty Coxswain
I do like the option of gutting the mics. My intentions are purely aesthetics. I love the look and feel of Motorola's white mobile mics, its something that I have been using for years and the durability of it is a bonus.

I think my plans will involve picking up a thicker coil and splicing it to the leads and installing a rubber grommet to hold everything in place. I doubt the board will be permeable so I do expect circuit and solder work but I do have faith in the project. Fortunately, the PTTs are in a similar place so I am sure adding and subtracting silicone will help me in matching everything up.

Hopefully, no one will be wise on a Uniden MK393 inside the housing of an HMN1090. Thanks for your input.

I don't own any radios that requires10-pin so the mics will not be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.