Can anyone identify this interference sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
For years I've been getting major interference on the lower VHF band around my home indoors and outdoors and around a few house vicinity on my block. Most of the time it sounds like an "open carrier" on hundreds of frequencies in the lower VHF band, however within the last few months I now hear this noise from time to time (see attachment) .

This particular noise is occasional and I can't figure out a pattern but it'll go on for hours.

Same thing with the "open carrier" like sound I've been dealing with for years, no pattern, and I'll hear it for hours.

The frequency for this particular noise is 42.3000MHz however I hear it over several freqs in the lower VHF when it occurs. This was just the one I decided to record but it sounds the same no matter which.

Can anybody identify this noise? Also any info on what the "open carrier" like sound might be?

Attachments

• 02-23-21 42300.zip
    521.1 KB · Views: 76

a417

Can you log into your cable modem and see if that's an upstream frequency for your service? Could have a bad feed somwhere that's saturating your neighborhood.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Strange... No idea what it is, but after the first few long beeps in the recording you posted, you hear a perfect Morse Code letter "L".

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber
I hear the "open carrier" sound on other radios. including my base (hooked up to a roof antennta) and portables anywhere inside and outside around my home and a good size radius around my street. I hear it near a pole and a cross section of wires going across the street near my home too.

ecps92

Disconnect your antenna, is it still there ? If so, then a Birdie
For years I've been getting major interference on the lower VHF band around my home indoors and outdoors and around a few house vicinity on my block. Most of the time it sounds like an "open carrier" on hundreds of frequencies in the lower VHF band, however within the last few months I now hear this noise from time to time (see attachment) .

This particular noise is occasional and I can't figure out a pattern but it'll go on for hours.

Same thing with the "open carrier" like sound I've been dealing with for years, no pattern, and I'll hear it for hours.

The frequency for this particular noise is 42.3000MHz however I hear it over several freqs in the lower VHF when it occurs. This was just the one I decided to record but it sounds the same no matter which.

Can anybody identify this noise? Also any info on what the "open carrier" like sound might be?

N9JOD

Premium Subscriber
You can try turning off the main breaker to you house and see if it goes away. If it does, then it's originating from inside your house. You can try and find it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.