• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can anyone identify this radio?

ecps92

Project25_MASTR

Something about Vikings, Raiders and 1923...
Just a picture of a control head is not very helpful as that particular control head could be used on multiple radios (much the same with Motorola, EF Johnson, and other manufacturers products).

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Can anyone help me identify thos radio. It was taken out of a truck, they want to sell for $100. I want to see if it is worth it.

If you have to ask, it's probably not worth it.

Not taking a dig at you, just saying that buying random radios is usually a bad idea.
No way to tell what band that is from the photo. Could be VHF Hi, VHF low, UHF, 800?

Question would be, 'what do you need'?

$100 isn't a good price for rando-radio. Not knowing what band it is, questionable background, questionable condition, questionable accessories.
Then you need to deal with software and programming cables.

And then you might find that a radio that old is out of alignment and won't work worth beans.

If you have a specific need, you'd do better shopping for a radio that meets those specific needs.
Or, offer the guy $10 for it and spin the wheel….

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
If you have to ask, it's probably not worth it.

Not taking a dig at you, just saying that buying random radios is usually a bad idea.
No way to tell what band that is from the photo. Could be VHF Hi, VHF low, UHF, 800?

Question would be, 'what do you need'?

$100 isn't a good price for rando-radio. Not knowing what band it is, questionable background, questionable condition, questionable accessories.
Then you need to deal with software and programming cables.

And then you might find that a radio that old is out of alignment and won't work worth beans.

If you have a specific need, you'd do better shopping for a radio that meets those specific needs.
Or, offer the guy $10 for it and spin the wheel….

What he said.

Looking at the picture it appears to be either an Orion or an M7100; I don't recall offhand if that control head was used on any other radios or not.

If what you're looking for is VHF or UHF and the radio is an M7100 it might be worthwhile, but if it's an Orion it's probably not worth the effort unless you're an inveterate tinkerer. If it's 800 MHz don't bother.

I'd pass. Unless you were getting it for free or less than like $20. It's not worth it. Like mmckenna said, there's newer better stuff out there.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
It's commonly known as an Orion or an M7100 and may be VHF, UHF, or 800 MHz. If it's 800 it's hardly worth shipping. It's worth a bit more if it's in a VHF or UHF split that's useful to you.

They're good radios, just pretty obsolete and getting long in the tooth at this point.

The simplest way to find out if it's an Orion vs. an M7100 is to look at the radio chassis. If the gasket is orange it's an Orion, if it's blue it's an M7100.

The M7100 is newer but they share the same control heads and are operationally the same. Difference being, M7100s are capable of P25 (phase 1 only) trunking while Orions are not capable of P25 trunking at all.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
The M7100 is newer but they share the same control heads and are operationally the same. Difference being, M7100s are capable of P25 (phase 1 only) trunking while Orions are not capable of P25 trunking at all.

I've found that the M7100 series is a bit easier to use in the ham bands than the Orion; VHF and UHF M7100s work right away, while Orions generally tended to need some internal tweaking due to VCO lock issues, especially below 146 MHz.