Can anyone in the So Cal area, update Firmware in my XTS3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Not sure where to post this, so I decided the best place would be the California Forum.

I live in Riverside County, and I was wondering if anyone in the local area has the means to update firmware in an XTS3000. Mine has REALLY old firmware, R05.52.08 DSPN 06.04.12.

I have no problem paying for it, but I have no way to do it myself, I do not have the flash cable and a key button thing. I use my radio for work, it is a 800 Smartnet.

I just don't want to travel very far to do it, one I don't trust my truck to drive a long ways, both gas, and it is just a plain POS, and has been giving me problems lately. I also use my radio for work, so can not afford to ship it off. If I can get it done with out paying the 80 bucks form Motorola for the firmware upgrade I would rather do that, if not then I will have to take the plug, and add to the money I already put into this radio.

I went to a radio place in OC/Garden Grove area and had my UHF HT1550 firmware upgraded and they only charged me 40 bucks and it was done in about 5 min. But I think the XTS3000 are a little different. And that was before my truck starting giving me problems.

It is flashed for everything I need (SmartZone and Digital ID), wish it had Fireground Channel Announcement, but oh well. But it has digital ID, but the firmware is too old to support it, so that is what I want to change. Also for conventional channels, it only shows the ID if it is scanning.

If anyone can help me out, let me know.

Thank you all for your time.

radiomankc

Jason, an authorized Motorola dealer that can sell the XTS series can order the "refresh" kit which includes the USB "button". They can do it in the shop for you. Expect to pay about $80 for the refresh kit and another $40 for them to flash it for you.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
I already figured that would be the price I was going to have to pay, just wanted to know if someone in my area could do it for me.

I can always order the button myself, but do not have the means to do it myself, so if I can order it, maybe someone local has the cable and can do it for me.

radiomankc

The "button" comes with its own USB connector, so if you have the CPS and a programming cable, you are good to go. If not, it appears there is an authorized Motorola dealer near you in Riverside: ComSerCo.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
I know of ComSerCo. However when I tried to call them to have my Firmware in the HT1550 updated, their tech was only in the office like one day a week, and in the field the rest of the day. I ended up going to the one in Westminister to have them do it, as their tech was in the day I called.

I have a cable, but it is a ribless, aftermarket one, and not a flash cable, which by reading up, is what I need to do the update.

I have a motorola online account, never used it, but I have one.

radiomankc

If you have the programming cable and CPS, that is all you need. When you order the refresh kit, you get the button with a USB connector and a CDROM with the firmware. You run CPS, insert the USB button, run the firmware update tool in CPS and you are all done. When you order the button from Mot, you must provide them with your radio serial and flash code as the button is paired only with your radio. You also only get one refresh unless you buy more.

So, sounds like you have the cable and if you have CPS, you are all set.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You need a Smartrib to flash upgrade an xts3000.

The xts3000 will also not do Channel Announcement. You'll need an ASTRO25 radio for that.

PTR-Jason

Premium Subscriber
I know it will not do channel announcement, but I wish it did. lol

And I am not looking to flash the radio, only update the firmware to a newer version, one that will support the Digital ID that it is flashed for. But I did read that you need the flash cable to update the firmware. Do you still need the smart rib too?

It currently has SmartZone, Digital ID, and Arco-25 in the flash.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You're 100% correct.

You might want to post on batlabs.com or p25.ca in the Buy/Sell/Trade forums asking for assistance.

There's a few dealers on both sites that will order the refresh for you and do the work.

Unfortunately you'll be paying for shipping but this might be your only option.

Status
Not open for further replies.