Can anyone relate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewSDScanner

I've been scanning both police and fire for a few years now and one thing I gotta say is that what I've learned about our local public safety is both amazing and invaluable. Of course, I didn't learn it ALL strictly from listening. I've been using radios myself every day for nearly 5 years in my own job and we share a lot of codes with the local PD. I also do emergency dispatch and have a reference page that I learned from because at one point, I was looking into a career in law enforcement as well.

Nevertheless, I know nearly 100% of all of what is/can/or will be said by any fire or police department in this entire area and it's a blast. I don't know one person besides police and fire themselves who know as much as I do about our radio system here. I'm at the point now where without even looking at my radio, based off of the unit numbers, I can tell you not just what dept it is but exactly which fire engine or police officer is going to which call (which beat/station they are in and what shift they are). I feel like I know a foreign language that almost nobody knows that is very practical and useful. Can anyone relate? :)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yes, its a great sense of satisfaction. I've been listening to my county (as well as participating) fpr some time now.

The humorous thing about it is when I remember how much I didn't know back in the day, and how much I need to know now.

DickH

... Can anyone relate? :)

Of course. Many (most) people here are similar. When I'm out and about, I often think, "those people have no idea about what's really going on in their community". Thinking further, I realize most of them don't give a damn. If the guy in front of them keels over, they either just step over him or quickly go the other way.

NewSDScanner

Of course. Many (most) people here are similar. When I'm out and about, I often think, "those people have no idea about what's really going on in their community". Thinking further, I realize most of them don't give a damn. If the guy in front of them keels over, they either just step over him or quickly go the other way.

You are 100% right. I was a first responder in an accident that happened the other night right in front of me on a freeway in the fastest lane. Only me and 2 women stopped to help. The rest blew by at full speed sending pieces of car and glass flying onto us while we were trying to help the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.