can anyone tell me whats so special ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasRedneck

can anyone tell me whats so special about these radios and maybe translate all this into something a person like me who doesnt know to much about this stuff can understand?

Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF Mobile / Base 4pc Package Deal!! (FT-857pkg)
4 pc Special !!

* You will receive:

* The Yaesu FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF All Mode Tranceiver
* The 30 Amp PSV-300 Regulated Switching Power Supply
* The G5RV HF 10-80M MultiBand Dipole Antenna
* * Includes 40 Feet of RG-8x Coax Cable
* & The Yaesu Face Separation Kit included Free too!!

You Must Purchase THIS $879 Package,& KEEP all listed items as this single package, to get the Radio for only $705. !! Wow!
See individual item descriptions for more specs/details.
* Optional VHF/UHF Antennas, Programming software, tuners & additional accessories are available in our other categories of this OnLine Catalog too!
Valid Thru 7-31-08

and also this one

* * ComPact YAESU FT-857D HF/VHF/UHF w/DSP (FT-857D)
Special PKG Deal!
* FREE YSK-857 FACE SEPARATION KIT THRU 7/31!!
* One Compact Radio Does It All!! -
AllMode UltraCompact Tranceiver!
* AM-FM-USB-LSB-CW !
* 100w pep HF/6M output, 50w on 2M, & 20w on 440.
* 32 color Display, Spectrum Scope, 200 AlphaNumeric Mem, WX & Air receive.
* Includes the New 60M Band, & DSP!
* Remoteable Faceplace option & Built in Beacon Mode too!
* Compatible with the Optional ATAS-120 Automatic Auto-tune mobile Antenna Too!
* Smallest "Full Power" HF/VHF/UHF MultiMode Tranceiver Available!!

mancow

Database Admin
They are both HF "shortwave" ham radios. They will do pretty much all ham bands except microwave and 220 mhz.

I have the 857 and the 897 is the bigger version. With one of these, a decent antenna system and a license you can pretty much talk around the nation and around the world at times. There is quite a bit just to listen to as well.

They are great radios but I don't know if you can say they are really speacial in any way. There are plenty of other companies that make units with similar features or capabilites.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

N1BHH

Some of those prices are pretty darned good. I haven't heard of Advanced Specialties, but the name of the website is kinda funny looking, webtrix. (Trix are for kids) I would venture to say, use caution when dealing with them. They are from NJ, maybe someone knows them better here. This is their main site: http://www.advancedspecialties.net/ And that is a pretty good package deal, though I would build my own resonant antenna instead of that G5RV.

prcguy

Prices seem fair. I have both the 857 and 897, there the identical radio inside except the 897 is in a rugged case that will hold an internal power supply or batteries. Its odd that they are including a G5RV with the 897 but no tuner. The radio will maybe transmit on 20m without a tuner but not on any other band. If size is a concern get the 857 and an Astron SS-18 power supply. That makes a great and very small base station and various models of antenna tuners from LDG would round out the package.
prcguy

Highpockets

SCANdal said:
Gentlemen,

I have shopped in-store at Advanced Specialties. They are legit - and knowledable.

SCANdal

I have also shopped in store, they have been friendly, and knowledable. I haven't had any problems with them or what I purchased.

hamtalk

seeing that there is someone here with ft-857D experience, perhaps i could pose a question..
Is the beacon mode used for contesting,say something like "cq field day ve3*** or whatever?
And is it cw or phone?
I am going to buy one and it would be nice to know.
Thank you kindly

D

DaveNF2G

If you don't understand the specs because you are not a ham, then you should not buy a ham rig.

If you are a ham and still don't understand the specs, then maybe you should not be buying ham rigs, either.

hamtalk

ft-857D

I just wanted to know about one menu item of a radio that i am not familiar with.
Where in the HELL do you get off talking to me that way?
I have been a ham for over 10 years, i have been on hf for about 9 of those years, i run packet, uhf/vhf/hf on a daily basis!
If you can't manage to answer a question without the sarcasm, maybe you should find a better hobby like watching grass grow....if you can do it without yelling at the grass to hurry up!!
If you can't say something constructive then say nothing!

D

DaveNF2G

I just wanted to know about one menu item of a radio that i am not familiar with.
Where in the HELL do you get off talking to me that way?

Did it occur to you that I might not have been talking to you? My response was directed at the posting that began the thread.
:roll:

nanZor

Nice portable radios. The out of box experience can be enhanced by making sure that the wide-open audio fidelity is turned down to something more reasonable, like 200hz to 2.5khz audio with [DBF] enabled and the lowpass and highpass options changed to those values in the menu structure.

I almost returned an 897 thinking the audio was really shrill while perusing the manual - luckily I turned a few more pages and tada - good sounding audio. It just comes wide open out of the box if new.

n5ims

Did it occur to you that I might not have been talking to you? My response was directed at the posting that began the thread.
:roll:

I don't think they'll read it since this thread is from way back in 2008 and the OP has had no posts since then as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.