Can BCD325P2 not skip encrypted talkgroups? Was: "Listening" to encrypted talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtdude100

Hey y'all, I know its a sensitive topic, but I am morbidly curious. I have a BCD325P2 (programmed with FreeScan), and I am wondering if there is a way to configure the scanner to not skip encrypted transmissions? The way I understand it (which may be incorrect, so please correct me if I'm wrong) is that when the BCD325P2 hits an encrypted TG when scanning, say, the VIPER system (North Carolina's statewide radio system), it immediately skips it. Is there a way to program it to not skip it? Which in my understanding would mean that I would hear digital garble (again, please correct me if I'm wrong, I am new to the hobby), but I would be interested to know how active encrypted TGs are.

(would prefer to keep this thread clean of the encryption debate... just want to focus on what kinda data one can get out of encrypted things)

Last edited:

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD325P2 (programmed with FreeScan), and am wondering if there is a way to configure the scanner to not skip encrypted transmissions? The way I understand it (which may be incorrect, so please correct me if I'm wrong) is that when the BCD325P2 hits an encrypted TG when scanning

You really should REPORT your thread and ask mods to move it to the Uniden forum since you are asking about the BCD325P2 not about North Carolina monitoring. Just hit report in the bottom left corner and request it be moved.

N9JIG

Sheriff
If you HOLD on a channel it will provide the encrypted audio, so while you will not understand it at least you can know it is active. I think it should also show the radio ID if you have that turned on. Like the good doctor said, the radio will skip over encrypted stuff while scanning.

Status
Not open for further replies.