Can GMRS Repeaters Be Added to the Database ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Now with the new changes in the Database can GMRS Repeaters be added to the Database ?? Many times GMRS Repeaters have emergency traffic on them.
GMRS Repeaters that were/are licensed to actual PS or first responder type agencies have always been put in the DB when identified. I don't think, at this time, individual's repeaters are going in, we don't have any sort of classification for them. I realize that only individuals can get licenses now, but that was not always the case. You can see Amarillo Emergency Services for an example of both GMRS and CB licenses issued to a PS agency.

D

DaveNF2G

There are an awful lot of frequencies in the database that typically do not carry emergency traffic. I don't think that is a criterion for inclusion. The trouble with GMRS is that it is often difficult to identify who is using the repeaters, and "unknowns" may not be submitted to the DB.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
There are an awful lot of frequencies in the database that typically do not carry emergency traffic. I don't think that is a criterion for inclusion. The trouble with GMRS is that it is often difficult to identify who is using the repeaters, and "unknowns" may not be submitted to the DB.
Dave,
Not sure if you were replying to the OP or to me, but the bottom line is that at this time we don't have a slot for the everyday GMRS repeater to go. It is kind of like when we didn't have slot for the everyday Ham repeater, it didn't get included either. Your point about unknowns is valid, but then again, we don't know who is talking on ham repeaters either. :wink:

D

DaveNF2G

Actually, we do know exactly who is talking on ham repeaters because every single user has their own license and identifies with their callsign. We just don't particularly care about individual hams from a database perspective. :)

GMRS is different because of all of the 'grandfathered' users that are not just chatty individuals.

Why not add GMRS as a category? That would be pretty clear for the repeaters themselves. Users should be listed under the category that best fits their communications.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
The Unknowns is a factor but since every GMRS repeater is licensed it really isn't a reason to keep it out. I'm not sure I indicted that "emergency" traffic was necessary, I just happened to know that Ama Emg Serv had both a GMRS repeater and a licensed CB base station and used them as an example. A GMRS repeater that had a dedicated public safety or works use (not an individual or "free style" use) could still be included like it was for Ama Emg Serv.

... Your point about unknowns is valid, but then again, we don't know who is talking on ham repeaters either. :wink:

Actually, we do know exactly who is talking on ham repeaters because every single user has their own license and identifies with their callsign. We just don't particularly care about individual hams from a database perspective. :)

GMRS is different because of all of the 'grandfathered' users that are not just chatty individuals.

Why not add GMRS as a category? That would be pretty clear for the repeaters themselves. Users should be listed under the category that best fits their communications.
Not caring is what I really meant when I said we don't know. For example, just because you are hearing W5QHS running off at the mouth does not mean he is saying anything important. Up until the recent change we didn't care about ham repeaters that were not committed to public safety use at times; hence, the former restriction to only Skywarn/RACES/ARES types. It took almost 8 years of requesting before Lindsay changed his policy in regard to regular ham repeaters, I remember that the topic was broached during beta testing of the new site in 2003 before the public even knew it was in the works. Given that there were a lot more folks interested in getting the ham repeaters added I don't hold out a lot of hope for the "regular" GMRS folks.

D

DaveNF2G

So the criterion for inclusion is how popular the admins think the target will be.

I respectfully suggest that the sole criterion should be whether it can be monitored.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
So the criterion for inclusion is how popular the admins think the target will be.

Remember, Radio Reference, LLC is a business. They are going to cater to the categories that will bring business in, and GMRS isn't one of them.

Use myGMRS.com - GMRS Repeater Directory it's already established, has a decent interface, and caters to what the GMRS users are looking for.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

I respectfully suggest that the sole criterion should be whether it can be monitored.
Has nothing to do with the Admins. Has everything to do with the owner. We (the staff as a whole) were not looking for adding the ham stuff, but neither were we opposed to it. Same goes for most other things; however, I will take exception to your second point, I have the ability to monitor the 60 Hz wall wiring, do you think we should include that also? Dave, I think you are scoffing here, indeed, we include things that can't be monitored in the DB. It is not an issue of whether it is monitorable or not, it is an issue of what it is and an issue of our providing aid in identifying something. As such, we have already identified the 8 possible frequencies that one might find a GMRS repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.