Can I Convert my 27MHz CB Magmount antenna to operate on UHF (440MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Have a Mobile Radio that needs an antenna, I Know you can tune an antenna to the frequency you use but Will just cutting the Radial of the CB antenna to the proper lenth for UHF work?

I am looking to tune it to transmit on 449.5MHz

WouffHong

Antenna

I Have a Mobile Radio that needs an antenna, I Know you can tune an antenna to the frequency you use but Will just cutting the Radial of the CB antenna to the proper lenth for UHF work?

I am looking to tune it to transmit on 449.5MHz

Not if there is a coil or matching function in the base, but if strictly a whip with no other RF-frequency-sensitive components, it could be probably used, but you'd be better off to spring for one with some gain and assured lowest SWR to not destroy the transmitter.:roll:

Da Wouff

(What is centuryvrproductions?? :) )

I Do have a CB whip antenna. its just a fiberglass Whip

What if I removed the coil and had the coax go strait to where the Radial connected to the coil for the Magmount?

Last edited:

WouffHong

Antenna usage for 450

yea im pretty sure it has a coil inside the base

Yup - that kinda blows that idea! :) -- Will fry the Finals in the 450 rig.
plus even if cut down a whip to a resonant length, it will only be a 1/4-wave antenna and the gain is nada.. :( (high radiation pattern angle)

DA Wouff

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Your mod - besides being unlikely to be an efficient match to the UHF xmtr- is going to expose small metal areas on the mobile antenna to water, road salt, and corrosive chemicals found when driving on most highways. It won't be long before the corrosion and crud start to seriously degrade the antenna- even if it seems like "it works" at first. There are much better alternatives at reasonable prices. The advice to buy is good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.