Can I get a private link to my audio feed that isn't time delayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Can I get a private link to my audio feed that isn't time delayed? I love being a feed provider, but the audio delay is over 100 seconds or more when listening. I don't mind the public feed being delayed, for protection of the police/so criminals don't run, but I would like a private link to the audio that is standard delay, say 10-20 seconds (normal internet server delay). I looked into moving to iceCast/shoutCast, but I prefer the broadcastify software for streaming.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
@TJK50010 Broadcastify doesn't delay feeds, this is caused by sending out to Broadcastify, them broadcasting it and the internet delay back to you. The only feeds intentionally delayed are official public safety feeds direct from the agencies if they desire to set a delay.

This has been talked about a number of times over the years.

VOXScanningYT

Scanner Enthusiast
Feed Provider
I'm not exactly sure how to, but I think if you download RadioFeed you can set up a server that you can access with a web browser.

VOXScanningYT

Scanner Enthusiast
Feed Provider
I'm not exactly sure how to, but I think if you download RadioFeed you can set up a server that you can access with a web browser.
You can also use ProScan.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Can I get a private link to my audio feed that isn't time delayed? I love being a feed provider, but the audio delay is over 100 seconds or more when listening. I don't mind the public feed being delayed, for protection of the police/so criminals don't run, but I would like a private link to the audio that is standard delay, say 10-20 seconds (normal internet server delay). I looked into moving to iceCast/shoutCast, but I prefer the broadcastify software for streaming.
The latency is caused by the Broadcastify Icecast servers and the media player. The Icecast servers latency depends on the burst buffers settings. I don't know what the settings are and how much latency. That can't be controlled by the user but the media player latency can be controlled by the user. It depends on the media player using and if it has network buffer settings. I use WinAmp. The latency is about 3 seconds. Now if you use ProScan or RadioFeed, you can stream to the Broadcastify server using the Source Client for the public feed. There will be a little more latency due to the Icecast servers. You can also use the ProScan & RadioFeed Web Server feature for a private feed if you want the latency at a minimum as that doesn't use Icecast servers.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Yeah, I use scanner radio pro. Maybe the delay is in the app. Funny thing is, I loaded up the broadcastify and scanner radio pro and I had an echo. I wonder if I can get winamp on my phone to play in real time.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber

The Zello APP for a cell phone would work. Most people have at least one old cell phone hanging around. Download the APP, be sure to activate the VOX feature and you're in business. Then on your regular cell phone, use the APP to connect to the proper "channel".

Motoballa

Premium Subscriber
I have my scanner setup with Zello and ProScan. Zello is set to a private channel so only people I give permission to can listen and ProScan for audio recording and logging. That's the only thing I could recommend. Zello works great, just set to VOX. If you need any further help regarding Zello let me know and I can share the settings I have for best quality.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Yeah, I downloaded zello, but the program had nothing that said streaming, calls, or audio. The old guides were a few years old and don't look like anything in the new program. I might need a walk through getting the correct links and setup guide.

DC31

Feed Provider
Zello is the way to go. Delay is around 1 sec using a raspberry pi and zellostream.

You can stream using the standard setup of a usb sound card and a radio, or a rtlsdr stick through several different programs (sdrTrunk, rtlsdr_airband, trunk-recorder). Anything that feeds into pulseaudio can be used as a source.

See the Simplestrem plug in configuration instructions at Trunk-Recorder.

DC31

Feed Provider
This is my Zello. Doesn't look anything like a streaming appView attachment 121358
Correct. That is the app used to listen. Zello for PC has vox capabilities used to stream audio from a sound input to a Zello channel.

Zellostream is a python program that works on a PC, MAC, or linux (rpi) to take the sound input from a sound card and output it to a Zello channel.

In your Zello app search for a channel called FC Fire Channel 1
That is one of my Zello channels from a rpi running trunk recorder and zellostream. Delay from the real-time audio is about 1-2 seconds.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
That is the same one in my screenshot. It doesn't have a VOX button. Did they change the program recently? What do you see when you setup on a new computer? Might need to create a new setup guide for scanner VOX setup

DC31

Feed Provider

TJK50010

Feed Provider
It looks like they have made their Zello for Windows Free App difficult to find. Try:

https://zello.com/data/ZelloSetup.exe

that is from this page: https://support.zello.com/hc/en-us/...io-gateway-mode-in-Zello-for-Windows-free-app

Keep in mind though that you are not trying to set up the radio gateway. That feature allows two-way communication to the radio, not simply streaming. All you are interested in is the VOX feature as described in the "Using VOX mode" link a couple posts back.
Thanks! Yeah, that's the right one. They really did a great job of hiding the program.

TJK50010

Feed Provider
Thanks! Zello hid the VOX software from the main website. I got it working now, and the delay is less than 5 seconds. Crisp audio. Bonus is that I can run alongside Broadcastify streaming. zelllll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.