Can i get OPP in or around hamilton

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
Hi am new to this but i just got a new scanner-BC346XTC is it possible to listen to OPP from the eastend of hamilton. i know there is Burlington OPP but i cant seen to find it to program it in .

bigcam406

your scanner is an analogue trunking scanner.you cant track OPP because they are on a P25 digital system.the only thing that you can do is to program OPP repeater frequencies in conventially and if a unit is nearby,you should be able to hear the comms.

RainbowSix

Premium Subscriber
Hi there , and Welcome to RR

OPP uses a province wide trunking system that is mixed analog and digital.
Along with other Ministry agencies (MOH, MNR,MTO,MOC) and a few other Municipal Emergency Services.

Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1 Trunking System, Southwest Zone, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Opp themselves use digital talkgroups and you would require a digital scanner to monitor them
Your scanner does not do digital.

Although, your in luck as the OPP do have some analog channels that they also use.
Such as vehicle repeaters, simplex channels , media channels that your scanner CAN pick up and monitor. Keep in mind, that some of their analog channels you will need to be in ear shot of the operator to hear them.

Ontario Provincial Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Hope this helps

Scott

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
Thanks bigcam406 and RainbowSix for the help...... I going to have to start saving for a digital scanner i take it .

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hi am new to this but i just got a new scanner-BC346XTC is it possible to listen to OPP from the eastend of hamilton. i know there is Burlington OPP but i cant seen to find it to program it in .

Where did you buy this scanner from?
What were you expecting to listen to when you decided to buy the scanner?
Did you do any research before you decided to make a purchase. You were smart enough to join this site. This is the best scanner site in the world. There used to be a Yahoo Group for Ontario but the owner ran his site into the ground. It is dead now.

I could say with 100% accuracy that if you wanted to listen to the OPP we would have told you not to purchase your 346 model.

Rainbow 6 is correct. You can sorta listen to the OPP in analogue mode because each OPP cruiser has a repeater in their cruiser. You have to be within range of these cruisers and the repeaters have to be turned on.

Do you live in a condo or apartment? Do you have an antenna besides the one that came with the scanner?

Not exactly sure where in the east end of the Hammer you are, I am nearby in Aldershot. I am high up in a high rise and I can pick up the repeaters that Rainbow 6 mentioned easily; there are 4 different provincial highways within a few km of my place. Height and constant OPP presence in the area explain this well enough.

But if you expected to scan the OPP I am going to guess that you will feel somewhat annoyed. I would be if this is something I wanted to monitor.

Please do note that you will be able to listen to the Hamilton, Halton, Niagara EMS services but there are no police services in the area that don't use encryption. Nothing in Hamilton can be monitored but a decent DIGITAL P25 capable scanner would allow you to monitor Haltons 4 municipalities fire departments.

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
Thanks EJB I bought the scanner in Whitby at the scanner store I forget the name of it. I bought the scanner to just to see what I can hear on it when I bought the scanner I knew I can't listen to Hamilton police and fire. I didn't know when buying a scanner that there is digital and analog scanners and as digital goes I was thinking it was that you needed to program it from the computer . and as rainbow 6 goes I don't know how to program them inon the scanner . iI wish I had someone that would program them in for me .I have the Hamilton and Halton ems already on the scanner .

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks EJB I bought the scanner in Whitby at the scanner store I forget the name of it. I bought the scanner to just to see what I can hear on it when I bought the scanner I knew I can't listen to Hamilton police and fire. I didn't know when buying a scanner that there is digital and analog scanners and as digital goes I was thinking it was that you needed to program it from the computer . and as rainbow 6 goes I don't know how to program them inon the scanner . iI wish I had someone that would program them in for me .I have the Hamilton and Halton ems already on the scanner .

You pretty much purchased one of the most difficult scanners around to program. But if u are familiar with spreadsheets you will be OK.

It is hard to program your scanner by hand. I suggest you use any software that came with your scanner or purchase setting, probably from ARC.

It is too late to go back and exchange your scanner but you should have do some research and so.done at DURHAM radio should have helped you out and explained to you that the 346 was not practical scanner. But that's Durham for you. They only care about $. And I hope they read this post. They should be ashamed by not helping you out.

Going forward either take back the scanner and pm me for a place that will sell you a scanner that is logical.

You will get amazing customer service from this guy and you will either get help from us or from the dealer I speak off.

I don't have any software to help u out but I am positive that we can get your scanner working for you.

If u decide to purchase a scanner from this guy you will not be disappointed and guys like rainbow6 and others here will go out of their way to help.

I remember all to we'll figuring out why to listen to and how to program and since I received help I make it a point to help others out in need.

Ball is in your court so to speak. Do what u want to do and don't hesitate to ask for help. I don't live far from you and I can tell you what you can expect to listen to.

Eric

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
Well now i have 5 scanners.the neighbor is retired. and a few days age i told him i just got a new scanner and he said to me if he only knew that at the time he would of gave 4 scanners to me and he did he said no time for them my ( bonus ) they are GRE PSR-400 used just once and he orderd a programming cord to go with it .it should be here in the next week or two. Radioshack PRO-94 just used once as well. pro29 works great but it dont have the trucked system.and a pro-44 and its a old one lol. But to get back to the 346xtc i have kind of figured it out to programe it. i downloaded freescan and did so reading on it know i have on it is ems,hsr and blows as well. now i think i will try to sell 3 of the scanners but have no ideal what to ask for them.

bigcam406

the GRE PSR400 is easier to program than the Uniden.you could program Bell Fleetnet in it,you can listen to MTO and MOH.you have a great neighbour IMO. lol

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
Is the GRE PSR-400 a digital scanner? Not too familiar with their products. I did look it up in the Wiki and it says its only analogue.

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
Ya its just analogue but it new just been used once . but am happy with it the sound is great on it.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wow! You have a very generous friend!

You can get use out of the 346 and 400 and maybe the Pro94 or maybe you can package both of them for a used digital scanner.

I have a analogue only trunking scanner, I dedicate it to the MOH as well as some local conventional stuff.

littlebuck81

Premium Subscriber
ya you are right about package them up EJB i found a guy that may trade for my bc346xtc and my psr-400 for a uniden bc396xt it digital scanner he programs them for people he out of Toronto we are going to meet up tomorrow to if we can make a deal. and ya i like to listen to MOH as well but it would be nice to listen in on the OPP out and around the Six Nation as well a digital scanner

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Good luck.

You have made it clear that you are interested in a digital scanner. If you are fair and patient you should be able to get what you want.

I don't think that the PRO and GRE scanner even if offered together would be enough for a digital scanner.

Can't speak for others and there is little more I can do for you,

VE3RADIO

Good luck.

You have made it clear that you are interested in a digital scanner. If you are fair and patient you should be able to get what you want.

I don't think that the PRO and GRE scanner even if offered together would be enough for a digital scanner.

Can't speak for others and there is little more I can do for you,

Its OK to dream I guess.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Its OK to dream I guess.

Nightmare is more like it with this guy.
Please do us all a favor, don't help this guy out. Take my word for it, I am always willing and enjoy going out of my way to help people out.

But you wouldn't believe the rudeness and attitude. I am washing my hands of this mess. I strongly urge all if the text of the group here to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.