Can I get other county's P25 systems through Burlington County's system?

howie38

Premium Subscriber
Just pondering. Considering that it seems that all the county FD/EMS are using the same system in this state and can patch talk groups between them.
Would the tower in my county also be carrying other neighboring counties transmissions like a repeater?

aslc

Premium Subscriber
No. Many but not all counties use P25 systems but they're not on the same system. Each county has its own self-contained P25 system. Some towns operate on the state's P25 system but that too is separate from the county systems.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
No. Many but not all counties use P25 systems but they're not on the same system. Each county has its own self-contained P25 system. Some towns operate on the state's P25 system but that too is separate from the county systems.
It was just a theory that if Burlington County can patch their vehicle talk groups to Camden's and Mercer's talk groups like they do, then the county wide systems must be identical. And the county towers would also pick up those other talk group signals.

howie38

Premium Subscriber
And, the statewide systems would only send traffic to a radio site if there was a legit users affiliated with that site that needed to hear that traffic.
I just thought if Burlington, Mercer & Camden counties vehicles can talk to each other through talk group patches then the system had to be identical.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It was just a theory that if Burlington County can patch their vehicle talk groups to Camden's and Mercer's talk groups like they do, then the county wide systems must be identical. And the county towers would also pick up those other talk group signals.

Sounds like they are different systems, so they would not automatically do that.

Radios can be programmed to connect to other systems.

Radio dispatch consoles can be linked to other systems.

Systems can be set up to share resources.

Just about anything is possible. Difference is if the agencies choose to do that.

FireHam32

Burlington County Central commonly sets up talkgroup patches between one of the response talk groups on the Burlington County system and the appropriate talkgroup from either Camden or Mercer county for mutual aid responses or Turnpike / I-295 responses. These are established as-needed by the dispatcher at the console and are supposed to be (but often aren’t) terminated at the end of the assignment. Usually patches that get forgotten will be caught and terminated during shift change.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
There are 2 ways it could be done, using control stations such that there is no direct interconnection between the systems, and just using plain ole radios on someone elses talkgroup. Then patch via your local console. The other is the use of ISSI (inter sub-system interface) where they are tied directly together and each county could roam into the others system and still continue to communicate as normal, acts kinda as an range extender in simple terms. Patching that way is much easier with no need for a control station and have to maintain that. Not all agencies or systems prefer to comply in using issi, some do, some dont.