OP25 Can I make multi_rx.py trade off between two towers with one RTL dongle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papagei

Hello all!

tl;dr: I have one RTL-SDR dongle and Boatbod OP25. I want to monitor two separate towers on a P25 system, each with their own NAC and control channel. With rx.py, I could do this by having two lines in trunk.tsv, one for each tower. rx.py would listen to one tower for a while, then "change channels" to the other tower and listen to that for a while, and then change back. I only care about local audio on my PC; I'm not trying to stream audio to the Internet. Can I get the same behavior out of multi_rx.py ?

Long version:

I started running OP25 a few years ago, using rx.py. I have one RTL-SDR stick, which is marked "DVB-T + DAB + FM + SDR" and "RTL2832U R820T2 TCXO".

I monitor MARRS, the "big" P25 system in the Kansas City area. That system has multiple transmitter sites; I know each site has a unique control frequency, and I'm pretty sure each site has a unique NAC. I monitor two of the sites, because they both have agencies I am interested in hearing, and both of them come in fairly well at my location.

With rx.py, I could have two lines in trunk.tsv, one for each site. Each line had a different control channel list and NAC, vs the other line, but the other entries were identical (talkgroup ID tag file, whitelist, blacklist, etc). rx.py would start up monitoring the first site in trunk.tsv. If none of the talkgroups on the first site talked for several seconds, it would "change channels" to the second site and listen to it for several seconds. If none of the talkgroups on the second site talked for several seconds, it would "change channels" back to the first site, and so on. If one of the talkgroups did talk, rx.py would stay on that site as long as it talked, and then "change channels" after nobody had been talking for several seconds. I know that if something long-winded was talking on one site, I might miss something that was being transmitted on the other site, but I don't care. :D

I downloaded a fresh copy of Boatbod OP25 from GitHub on 2022-06-16. I am trying to use multi_rx.py, mostly to take advantage of its RID tagging capability. I have been able to get multi_rx.py to monitor one site, or the other site, but I haven't yet figured out how to make it "change channels" periodically like rx.py used to. I have tried a couple of different things in the JSON config file, with no luck.

Again, I know I can't hear both towers at once, since I just have one RTL dongle. I am also not trying to stream the audio to the Internet - I just want to listen to it locally on my PC.

Is there a way to make multi_rx.py "change channels" periodically, like rx.py does?

Thanks!

boatbod

Boatbod multi_rx.py does not cycle between NACs like rx.py can. With dongles being so cheap, forcing all that added complexity into multi_rx didn't make sense considering you can add a complete second simultaneous receive channel for just $25.

Papagei

Boatbod multi_rx.py does not cycle between NACs like rx.py can.
Well, at least now I know. :)

I guess I'll go back to trying to hack RID tagging into rx.py. I got it to work on the circa-2018 version of rx.py, but so far I have been less than successful on the current version. Right now, my personal time/money tradeoff favors spending time.

boatbod

Right now, my personal time/money tradeoff favors spending time.
I totally understand. For that same reason my next version of boatbod op25 with gnuradio-3.9 compatibility (when I have time to work on it) will be multi_rx only.

Papagei

I took a fresh look at patching rx.py today and got it working. I now have RID tagging (using tags from an additional .tsv file) and logging.

I realize rx.py is on the way out the door, but if you'd like the patches, I can send them.

Thanks!

boatbod

I took a fresh look at patching rx.py today and got it working. I now have RID tagging (using tags from an additional .tsv file) and logging.

I realize rx.py is on the way out the door, but if you'd like the patches, I can send them.

Thanks!
Sure. Put them into my github as a pull request.

Status
Not open for further replies.