Can I monitor frequencies that have a "tone"?

kj4qk

Premium Subscriber
I am a ham and have interest in scanning radio. Though I understand I will need to get an advanced scanning radio, I have an old Radio Shack Pro-51, which seems to still work. Unfortunately I see no method of placing a setting for a tone for a specific frequency. Does this mean the Pro-51 is basically now worthless since most frequencies now have tone requirements. Also, does a scanner have the ability to broadcast both sides of a repeater channel?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I am a ham and have interest in scanning radio. Though I understand I will need to get an advanced scanning radio, I have an old Radio Shack Pro-51, which seems to still work. Unfortunately I see no method of placing a setting for a tone for a specific frequency. Does this mean the Pro-51 is basically now worthless since most frequencies now have tone requirements. Also, does a scanner have the ability to broadcast both sides of a repeater channel?
Very basically here, your radio is too old too set tone squelch.

You are a ham who understands frequencies so you can figure out what your scanner, basically a 2 m transceiver that doesn't transmit, can do.

As a ham operator I'm sure you understand, let's say on two meters. You have an output frequency and a offset input frequency, as long as you put the output frequency in, you're going to hear both sides of the conversation on a repeater.

Frankly I'm a little confused as to why you're asking these questions if you are a ham operator.??

Good luck to you and welcome, to radio reference, I'll let others go from here.🙂

wtp

without the tone, you get to hear everybody.
the tone is like a secret handshake, it keeps them from hearing a different agency on the same frequency.
usually they are miles apart and would still hear each other.
but with a tone that is different, the radio will not open squelch.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Analog frequencies can be monitored using only carrier squelch. A receive tone (CTCSS, PL, etc.) would only be necessary to prevent hearing other (undesired) users on the same frequency.
Repeater channels are best monitored with the outbound/output frequency of the repeater. In most cases, this allows for hearing both sides of the conversation.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Obviously I neglected to indicate that of course you can hear whatever is on the frequency without setting a squelch tone but you would of course, as has been stated.. not necessarily hear exactly what you're looking for but you'll hear everybody on that frequency, again this is just basic radio 101.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Your scanner can hear a transmission that has a tone on it. Yes. It's that simple. That one will simply unmute to any signal on frequency and with adequate strength. (And not too broadband for the RX filter.)

I don't know if any scanners, particularly older ones, had a DCS/CTCSS filter function.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you tell us what you want to listen to (frequency/agency/system) and we will be happy to tell you if your scanner will be able to do this. Simply saying tone, without explanation of what tone we are talking about, makes it hard to be sure our answers match your question.

The Pro 51 is far from worthless as it is good for monitoring analog civilian air and businesses, NASCAR, Railroads, FRS/GMRS, Ham and other frequencies. But it is hard to say if it will work for you if you don't tell us what you want to listen to. Finally, scanners don't broadcast only receive.

Whiskey3JMC

Keep your friends close & your radios closer
Premium Subscriber
Why don't you tell us what you want to listen to (frequency/agency/system) and we will be happy to tell you if your scanner will be able to do this.
Going by the OP's location they won't be able to monitor their county emergency services with a Pro-51. I'd recommend a Uniden SDS100 or 200 to overcome likely simulcast distortion to be faced while monitoring the system below
1679679593795.png

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Going by the OP's location they won't be able to monitor their county emergency services with a Pro-51. I'd recommend a Uniden SDS100 or 200 to overcome likely simulcast distortion to be faced while monitoring the system below
Before we make recommendations, it'd be nice to give the OP a chance to tell us what he wants to listen to. Perhaps it is just a ham repeater with a CTCSS tone, or maybe it is a system his scanner won't work on. I just think it would be nice to understand his actual needs before jumping in with other suggestions. But your advice is right on if the "tone" in question is the tone a control channel makes.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
There's not a lot of conventional traffic to listen to in Seminole County. Unless you like listening to schools. All public safety aside from the rare VHF backup channel is digital and trunked. That pro-51 is not going to handle them.