Pro-96: Can I montor trunked freqs. on ICAWIN on my Pro-96??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRBComm

I haven't programmed trunked frequencies in my scanner for several years so I'm not exactly fluent in all these programming steps.

I'm wanting to know if I can scan trunked channels on the Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) with my Pro-96 scanner? The manual gives instructions for Apco-25 systems but I cannot get it to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks

Engine104

Member since 2005
I haven't programmed trunked frequencies in my scanner for several years so I'm not exactly fluent in all these programming steps.

I'm wanting to know if I can scan trunked channels on the Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) with my Pro-96 scanner? The manual gives instructions for Apco-25 systems but I cannot get it to work. Any help will be appreciated.

Idaho Cooperative Agencies Wireless Interoperable Network (ICAWIN) Trunking System, Statewide, Idaho - Scanner Frequencies

Thanks
I'm not sure if this is the case, but I know I had to set custom tables in Win 96 to get a P25 trunked system here in Los Angeles to work on my Pro-96.

It could also be that the ICAWIN system is P25, Phase 2? If so, the Pro-96 will only receive Phase 1.

Thanks

Will the PRO-96/2096 decode the new Phase II systems coming online?
  • These systems are identified by Project 25 Phase II in the System Type in the database. Such systems cannot be received by these scanners.

http://www.scancat.com/OnLineHelp/OEM_Radio_Owners_Manuals/PRO-96-OwnersManual_20-526.pdf

DRBComm

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I know I had to set custom tables in Win 96 to get a P25 trunked system here in Los Angeles to work on my Pro-96.

It could also be that the ICAWIN system is P25, Phase 2? If so, the Pro-96 will only receive Phase 1.
Thanks for the quick reply. It says it is a Phase 1 so what are custom tables?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks.

When the 96 was made the 700 PS band didn't exist, so it doesn't understand the voice channel assignments. The RS forum has some threads discussing this years ago.

DRBComm

When the 96 was made the 700 PS band didn't exist, so it doesn't understand the voice channel assignments. The RS forum has some threads discussing this years ago.
Is there a scanner out there worth getting to monitor law enforcement in my area; or are most of them encrypted now?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Is there a scanner out there worth getting to monitor law enforcement in my area; or are most of them encrypted now?

I'm about 1,700 miles from you, so I wouldn't be the best person to answer that. :)

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You can tap that scanner and use it along with an sdr dongle to monitor that system with unitrunker. Of course you would have to tap it and at that point many find it easier just to buy 2 dongles. But to go along with your other question, which area are you specifically trying to monitor? That's a big system and it looks like a fair amount of it is encrypted.

DRBComm

You can tap that scanner and use it along with an sdr dongle to monitor that system with unitrunker. Of course you would have to tap it and at that point many find it easier just to buy 2 dongles. But to go along with your other question, which area are you specifically trying to monitor? That's a big system and it looks like a fair amount of it is encrypted.
OK, now you've opened up another recent interest; SDR. I don't know what yo mean by 'tap' but would be interested to learn.

I want to monitor Post Falls/Coeur d'Alene law enforcement.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Tapping would be adding a discriminatior tap to your pro96. It could then be used as the source audio to supply unitrunker. Then you could use an sdr to listen to the voice traffic. Not exactly the easiest setup if you aren't familiar or equipped to solder. The 'cheapest' way to monitor a trunked system (pending you own a computer) is just to buy two dongles. I've got a pile of these and combined with unitrunker and of course my pc they work great. https://www.amazon.com/NooElec-NESDR-Smart-Bundle-R820T2-Based/dp/B01GDN1T4S Not exactly portable but it is a good cheap way to listen. As for an actual scanner or receiver that you don't need a pc and software to listen with your cheapest bet for something new is probably a P25RX from Bluetail Technologies. Otherwise a used pro197/ 106, gre psr 500 / 600, or a Uniden bcd996xt or 396xt will fit the bill in a non simulcast environment. Sdrs are cool though if you don't mind using a computer and a little more work to get it up and running.

Edit Post Falls according to the database is unencrypted. However Coeur d'Alene is encrypted. Someone local may be able to chime in and confirm or give some insight on if Post Falls plans to encrypt in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.