Can I pick up NPD from Murfreesboro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaker2050

Premium Subscriber
I live in Murfreesboro. Do I have to have a digital scanner and external/outdoor antenna to get the Metro Nashville Police Department. I just bought a Pro-163 because I was thinking the NPD under conventional trunking, but I'm starting to tjhink they're all digital. Can somebody help me? Thank you.

Last edited:

SDavis90

To start off...In Smyrna, it all depends on where you're at. I've noticed terrain and obstacles becomes more of an issue at that distance. As far south as Murfreesboro, I have been able to listen to the South and Hermitage sectors as far down as Exit 81 on I-24, which is Church Street of course. So I say it's hit or miss in the 'boro. If you are willing to spend the money on it, I would just have to say it's the way to go since everything is slowly going digital anyway. I believe with an external antenna at home, you would be fine. Good luck!

bbaker2050

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply. Do I have to have a digital scanner to listen to the Nashville Police or can I use my non-digital Pro-163. Thanks

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I live in Murfreesboro. Do I have to have a digital scanner and external/outdoor antenna to get the Metro Nashville Police Department. I just bought a Pro-163 because I was thinking the NPD under conventional trunking, but I'm starting to tjhink they're all digital. Can somebody help me? Thank you.

To answer your first question, yes you must have a digital scanner to pickup the Metro system. Reception in Murfreesboro is spotty--depends on where you are. Next, an 800 mhz antenna, such as the rubber duck type sold by RS, would no doubt help to improve reception.

that system must not be very good then back when i used to go up there when my grandparents were living in mboro i could pick up nashville clear as a bell but back then they were on the old vhf system of coarse goes to show you cant beat the old vhf for range

Status
Not open for further replies.