Can I pick up Winter Olympics race team frequencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurrySeaCoral

We are staying in a condo in Whistler Creekside less than 1km from where all of the alpine racing events are held on the mountain. I would imagine that if anyone is broadcasting from the hill we should be close enough. I am a newbie, not sure where to even start scanning for race team frequencies. Even if I can just pick up race course preparation frequencies that would be fun too. I have the ICOM IC-R5.

BC_Scan

put scanner in search between 150-174 mhz

Yes historically the teams always have used vhf 150-174 mhz when up during world cups, I have personally heard many different teams,French, Germans , Italian's, American ,Canadian etc, I wiould imagine they will be bringing their comm's , but unless they are prohibited by IOC/Vanoc ? and asked to use the 700 mhz system , your scanner will not do P25 trunk , You would still be able to hear both mountain op's etc.
Last ski year when teams where training up at whistler , I noticed many using vanoc system , not sure for this year (Olympics) what that will look like.
I have entire Whistler database I have mined hear if you need any information specifically about anyone else.

FurrySeaCoral

Exciting if I could pick up some mountain ops, even if I could just hear them setting up the course or talking about race day weather conditions. If I wanted to hear the VANOC system on the P25 trunked system, what would be a good choice to buy a handheld trunked scanner that is known to work on their frequencies? It's all unencrypted? I was looking through the other thread on Winter Olympics comms and it didn't sound as straightforward as dialing in the P25 scanner.. it might involve more experimentation than that? I can barely figure out the scan features of my ICOM IC-R5.

FurrySeaCoral

Sounds like fun, in that case I am thinking to buy a BCD-396XT to pick up the P25 trunks. I imagine that I should be able to pull up some signals from the condo. It is safe to say that VANOC will let me take the scanner inside the venue when I attend the race in person? The spectator guide includes in the prohibited items list "Use of radio frequency devices (Wi-Fi, pocket wizards and land mobile radios) that have not been registered and coordinated with Industry Canada prior to entry into the venue." But I think this means two-way radios.. I interpret that as they don't want people transmitting. Would it be reasonable to assume that a receive-only scanner would be well approved at the gate just like my iPhone and camera with telephoto lens, etc.?

kevinparrish

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

Don't forget to search the UHF "T-Band" (470-490 MHz) for various Television Broadcast operational communications during the Winter Olympics if you're interested.

Within this often forgotten frequency range you'll find a "potpouri" of behind the scenes broadcaster communications.. Some folks like listening to our operational communications on a scanner as they watch the actual live television broadcast.... Expect the customary satellite delays..... you'll hear the director give the cues on your scanner and then see it on your television about 6-seconds later.

The closest NBC Affiliate to Vancouver, BC is KING-5 TV out of Seattle, WA.

You can listen to NBC News activities at Whistler Mtn sometime after 2/4 on the following frequencies: Camera PL / Directors Cues : 453.3375 MHz
Talent IFB/ Cueing : 476.3375 MHz
Whistler Operations: 464.5125 MHz

The TODAY Show will be broadcasting live each morning beginning at 4 AM from Grouse Mountain during the games.

Here's the Grouse Mountain frequency lineup for those of you that might be awake at 0400 Hrs.

TODAY Show Operations: 475.2250 MHz.
TODAY Show Green Room: 470.7375 MHz.
TODAY Show Engineering: 470.4375 MHz.
TODAY Show Audio Engineering: 470.6375 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-1: 460.8750 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-2: 453.1375 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-3: 475.8250 MHz.

You'll also find many frequencies being used by the NBC Olympics Unit up in the UHF "T-Band" as well so have yourself some fun finding what's out there.

Pleasant Listening !

KP

Kevin Parrish
NBC News Field Operations

bcradio

Database Admin
Thanks Kevin!

I've always enjoyed monitoring live television productions, and the Olympics will have no shortage of that. Thanks for the detailed info!

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Great submission Kevin. I always enjoy monitoring the IFB frequencies of the local media. This adds a whole new dimension adding NBC to the mix. Enjoy the Vancouver area if you are coming here and I guess now we can forgive you for the Jay Leno affair:)

IFB for Global TV in Edmonton, Alberta is 460.1625 PL 114.8. Jay was at this station (ITV) when I worked there in 1975 when he was just getting to be well known. He always talks about Edmonton and the Tommy Banks show which he appeared on,

Harry, Ex writer of the Tommy Banks show along with Mason Williams of Smothers Brothers fame and "Classical Gas".

FurrySeaCoral

Has anyone been able to pick up any ski team comms in Whistler on vhf 150-174 mhz, or on the trunked sytem?

SCPD

QRT
Has anyone been able to pick up any ski team comms in Whistler on vhf 150-174 mhz, or on the trunked sytem?

If you bring a scanner on site you May Be subject to a secondary inspection of your radio gear. The guys doing the location security checks don't know the difference between a transmitter or receiver radio.
Most likely you will be asked to show your radio to one of the on-site radio inspectors checking for approved event or site transceiver radios. Approved transceiver radios have stickers on backs.
Of the three I heard who brought scanners on site on the weekend at Whistler, one was pulled off to the side for a secondary check. The inspector was nice enough to sticker his scanner.

I've been hearing its a mixed bag. VHF / UHF along with Bell 10-4 and Telus mike radios, 700 mhz system on site.

Close call is good bet you will pick up something, Now if you understand what they are saying.

FurrySeaCoral

Today I was able to pick up the US Ski Team frequency on 151.1150 while watching the Women's Super Combined from alongside Franz's run. They were sharing course tips from racers that went earlier and announcing split times.

stuck22

Premium Subscriber
There are industry canada people at every venue in whistler. I suggest not bringing your scanner with you as its very complicated to explain to the screeners what a scanner really is. I am staying in creekside myself but I have been working so much that I havent had time to turn on the scanner. I know you will hear lots of stuff.

I have noticed that some teams are using very small VHF radios. Almost the size of an IC-R5. Sounds like simplex comms.

Also the OBS are not on the 700 P25 Trunk, They seem to be using either VHF or UHF portable radios. Half of them are speking German so its useless to listen to unless you know german.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
The broadcasters most likely will not be on the trunks. Try 450-451 MHz and 455-456 Mhz. Remember the post from NBC earlier in this thread as those should be active.

Harry

FurrySeaCoral

I took my 396XT to 8 different events during our week long stay. I could pick up some very interesting race course preparation on the VANOC trunked system from our condo in Creekside. Setting gates, timing, adjusting the snow. The regular analog freqs from 150-175 Mhz were more interesting during the rest of the day since I could hear the coaches, and sometimes the famous athletes giving tips to their team mates. I took the scanner through all those security checkpoints, and I had no problems whatsoever. I used the scanner in plain view of all kinds of officials and they didn't think anything of it. I had to use the lock out feature a lot - to skip the transportation related channels. I would highly recommend listening, it adds a lot of fun at the Olympics.

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
I thought you would have no problem there with a scanner. The athlete to coach discussions would also have been very interesting. I have gone to NHL games and listened to both teams radios. Not sure if they used radios last night in the Russian Canada game. Be prepared for some spicy language. Also Indy races can also provide the same interesting monitoring.
Harry

LouPegno

Gu Ru And Mentor

Greetings,

Don't forget to search the UHF "T-Band" (470-490 MHz) for various Television Broadcast operational communications during the Winter Olympics if you're interested.

Within this often forgotten frequency range you'll find a "potpouri" of behind the scenes broadcaster communications.. Some folks like listening to our operational communications on a scanner as they watch the actual live television broadcast.... Expect the customary satellite delays..... you'll hear the director give the cues on your scanner and then see it on your television about 6-seconds later.

The closest NBC Affiliate to Vancouver, BC is KING-5 TV out of Seattle, WA.

You can listen to NBC News activities at Whistler Mtn sometime after 2/4 on the following frequencies: Camera PL / Directors Cues : 453.3375 MHz
Talent IFB/ Cueing : 476.3375 MHz
Whistler Operations: 464.5125 MHz

The TODAY Show will be broadcasting live each morning beginning at 4 AM from Grouse Mountain during the games.

Here's the Grouse Mountain frequency lineup for those of you that might be awake at 0400 Hrs.

TODAY Show Operations: 475.2250 MHz.
TODAY Show Green Room: 470.7375 MHz.
TODAY Show Engineering: 470.4375 MHz.
TODAY Show Audio Engineering: 470.6375 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-1: 460.8750 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-2: 453.1375 MHz.
TODAY Show RFPL-3: 475.8250 MHz.

You'll also find many frequencies being used by the NBC Olympics Unit up in the UHF "T-Band" as well so have yourself some fun finding what's out there.

Pleasant Listening !

KP

Kevin Parrish
NBC News Field Operations

The Best From The West! there is no better.Na Ga Da!

Status
Not open for further replies.