Can I play back my fire dispatch and get tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

I've been posting in my FTO thread but wanted to make a separate thread about a specific part of the FTO feature.

Over the last week I recorded a lot of traffic for my fire dispatch (two tone paging). I tried running it through a freeware app but it turns out it was very inaccurate.

I made these recordings just by holding on my fire dispatch, not while on the FTO search.

Can I play these recordings back and get the scanner to tell me what MHz the tones are? I think I tried but didn't see anything or it wouldn't stay on the tone screen

Can someone set me straight on this. I keep hearing that these recordings have metadata in them. Is that true and can I only use recordings I made while in the FTO search screen

Thanks,

Roveer

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
You might want to check out http://comtekk.com/two-tone-decoder.htm
This is excellent tone 2 tone decoder software that I have been using for years. He also offers Multi Tone decoder that can provide CTCSS, DCS and DTMF support as well.
There are cables available on this site that you can plug your scanner into your computer for unattended operation if desired. The software will also log file all the information for you.
I have no interest or affiliation with this website or business; I just know that he has excellent software and accessories that I have been using for a long time that provides excellent information. And his tech support is second to none.
Some will say that many newer scanners will provide you with 2 tone information; and they do. But having the option to leave it unattended and have logs provided is very helpful if you don’t want to sit there and wait around, and only be able to do one tone set at a time.
Just thought I’d offer this as a good option. I found this only after doing a bunch of research on this subject myself and happened to run across this.
Good luck!
PS: There is no reason that you couldn't run your recording through this software and get the results you are looking for.

Roveer

Well I tried doing what I thought would work. I set the scanner on search on the FTO channel that just has a frequency and also set system record. It recorded a bunch of dispatches but when I tried to play them back I didn't see any of the tone frequencies.

Can someone tell us definitively if this feature is supposed to work, or do you physically have to see the tones on the screen at the time it happens?

I've got most of the tones I need but would like to know how this works for future endeavors.

Thanks,

Roveer

SCPD

QRT
Well I tried doing what I thought would work. I set the scanner on search on the FTO channel that just has a frequency and also set system record. It recorded a bunch of dispatches but when I tried to play them back I didn't see any of the tone frequencies.

Can someone tell us definitively if this feature is supposed to work, or do you physically have to see the tones on the screen at the time it happens?

I've got most of the tones I need but would like to know how this works for future endeavors.

Thanks,

Roveer

It worked fine for me.(436) and it will only work on the FTO. (FYI: If you near your Scanner you will hear the Page out)
After Recording for a while go and stop it by F + Record. It will ask you to Stop it and then if you want to save it. (Yes to all)
Go into Setting (In sub-menue of the Scanner) and Record Setting and select "review or similar"
Then when you replay your recordings it will display the tone outs.
I have not tried to listen to them outside of the Scanner.

Roveer

I'll give this another try. I thought I did basically exactly what you posted yet it didn't seem to work for me. one possible snag is that for some reason my scanner keeps jumping off of the "search" and going back to the other FTO's I had already put in. I've found it that way a few times already. This may be the problem. Not sure why it's doing that.

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.