Can I program a Whistler with my 668 data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cognomen

I am hoping somebody has already done this and can answer from experience. I tried searching, but didn't find an answer.

I am thinking about picking up a Whistler scanner, as I need to be able to scan DMR in 800 MHz (MotoTRBO Connect Plus) and VHF. As we have done extensive customizing to our 668 programming, I'd like to be able to transfer that exact setup to the new scanner without having to type it all in again.

Can I merely save the archive of the 668 programming, then open that archive with the Whistler software and write it to a Whistler scanner?

Or would I have to export it as a .csv or something, then import it, then write it?

Or just not possible?

Any help would be useful.

Joseph11

You can export your configuration from the iScan software and import it into EZ Scan.

pro106import

Premium Subscriber
Milford, Ct. perched high above Long Island Sound
Yes save your archive as you always did from the 668. Start the Whistler EZscan and open the archive that you just saved and add your DMR stuff or whatever, and write it to your Whistler. You may have to fiddle with a couple of the different settings that the Whistler EZscan has but you can do a side by side comparison of the two programs and compare the differences. My Whistler has the full keyboard also, so there are a couple of extra settings to deal with. But the main programming of the systems will go right in, which is great.
Bob

Blackswan73

You can even put the 668 SD card into the 1080, as is and vice versa I have had both and used the cards in them interchangeably.

TAbirdman

You can export your configuration from the iScan software and import it into EZ Scan.

^^ yes then hit reset default values - add your DMR freqs then download to the whistler. Hitting the "reset" button gets rid of the 668 factory defaults that may or may not work on your new whistler.

wbswetnam

Well, yes and no. I was able to export my P25 and conventional channels from iScan just fine, but when I tried changing conventional channels from NFM to DMR digital in the EZ Scan program, it wouldn't work. DMR channels must be programmed from within EZ Scan only, they cannot be created in iScan as NFM and then exported for later conversion to DMR in EZ Scan.

Swipesy

You MUST follow TAbirdman's advice if you import an Archive file from a different scanner. If you don't you will get mixed results.

Cognomen

Awesome; thanks for all of your replies!

I'm now trying to determine if the 1080 or 1088 will be "good enough", or do I really need a TRX-1 with the future NXDN capability... I already scan NXDN with my Icom 3161/4161D's, but of course they won't follow actual t/g's.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It has been reported that the TRX-1 has an improved RF Front End and there is not as much overloading on VHF-High compared to earlier models.

73 Eric

Cognomen

Thanks Eric. I am not currently experiencing any issues with VHF-Hi with my 668, but that's something to consider. Worth the $130 difference? WS-1080 is $370 and TRX-1 is $500 at HRO. If I was considering the 1088, it's $450, so for the $50 difference, I'd upgrade to the TRX-1.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The WS-1080 is not really an upgrade from the Pro-668 since the only difference is firmware. You do gain support from Whistler.

The TRX-1 would be a better choice if you want a full-keypad, since the WS-1080/1088 is nearing End-Of-Life, You also gain DMR and future NXDN as well.

$500 seems to be the common price point for high-end scanners.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.