Can I receieve Balto. Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
I have a Radio Shack Pro-97 scanner (triple truncking). I will soon be in Baltimore for a few days and was wondering if I will be able to pick up the police on my scanner. A few years ago I was there (I had an older scanner at the time) and couldn't because of the digitized system they use. Also, does the Fire Dept. use an 800 mhz. system as well?

Any comments will be helpful. Thanks

dtscho

Database Admin
No, unfortunately you won't be able to hear Baltimore City Police/Fire with the Pro-97. The system is digital, and the Pro-97 only does analog.

Dave

doctordave

You can monitor a good chunk of the FD comms, which are re-broadcast onto VHF analog frequencies. Check our Balt City page of the database for the freqs. Also, 123.025 is aircraft-aircraft.....you'll pick up the PD helos chatting.

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
digital scanners?

Thanks for the two replies. Are there any scanners on the market that can pick up the digital system that Baltimore uses?

Jeff

mhoward785

the_expatriate said:
Are there any scanners on the market that can pick up the digital system that Baltimore uses?

Yes.

Uniden: BCD996T, BCD396T
Radio Shack: Pro-2096, Pro-96
GRE: PSR-500, PSR-600

And a few others that are no longer manufactured. You’re going to have to spend around $500 for something new. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

the_expatriate

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to everyone for their help. I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information. I'm leaning toward the Pro-96 because I've had radio shack scanners in the past. Right now I live in a rural part of NY State so trunking and digital isn't really an issue. Soon I'll probably be in the Balto / DC area for awhile.

Is the Pro-96 user friendly? Is it easy to program? Will it work okay in the Balto / DC area?

-- Jeff

Dewey

the_expatriate said:
Thanks to everyone for their help. I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed with all the information. I'm leaning toward the Pro-96 because I've had radio shack scanners in the past. Right now I live in a rural part of NY State so trunking and digital isn't really an issue. Soon I'll probably be in the Balto / DC area for awhile.

Is the Pro-96 user friendly? Is it easy to program? Will it work okay in the Balto / DC area?

-- Jeff

The Pro-96 is ok, but it uses the now "older & antiquated" (my words) bank system. The newer scanners, 396, 996, and new GREs use "Dynamic Memory". The dynamic memory is much nicer, but it does have a learning curve for those who are used to banks. The reason dynamic memory is advantageous is because it does not have the limitations of banks resulting in FAR less wasted memory.

Dewey

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
If you purchase one of the newer types of scanners (I prefer Uniden, so the 396 or the 996) and get someone who is "in the know" to set it up for you how you want it, it's as easy to use as a TV remote control. I hear that the GRE scanners are similarly easy to use once you get past the set-up. This is my two cents. If you need assistance in setting up a 396 or a 996, I will gladly help you out.

BuiltonAsus

One nice thing about the RS-96, is that you are able to find used models at almost half the price. If you want to hear digital traffic now, and not want to spend the $$$ for a new digital scanner, check out the "Classified" section in the forums. You can even find some nice Uniden's for $400. Haven't seen the PSR's hit the used section.

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

Status
Not open for further replies.