• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

can i run many different locations on one repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

naderi925

i have a taxi company and i have multiple locations...i was thinking if i can buy one repeater and have it programmed for each base...would that even be a possibility?

details:
each location has its own frequency
all running on UHF radios
currently have 4 locations
all within a 10 mile radius of the antenna

bfperez

Premium Subscriber
Why do you need 4 frequencies? Are you dispatching or coordinating 4 discrete areas/zones?

The alternative is to have 4 inputs to one output which sounds like a huge amount of work and trouble for no gain.

Just program all of your base units to use the same transmit (repeater input) frequency and tone. Your bases would then act just like your mobiles.
(make sure to license each of those bases as station class FX1 if they do use the repeater)

Last edited:

naderi925

well to start off with each location has a small antenna and a base station in it...each one has its own freq. but i would like to get rid of the crappy coverage.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Consider that wherever you put the repeater and it's antenna will be your entire coverage area. Again you will have to do some re-programing of the base stations into control stations. You would need to modify your license and add the new control stations (FX1). In any case you will need to do some re-programing. And for the most part a repeater operates on only ONE pair of frequencies unless they are very, very closely spaced.
I should add that you will also need to add a repeater to your license.

K4PS

Premium Subscriber
Taxi Repeater

Assuming that you are wanting to use the radios you already have, you could get a repeater an what is called a community Repeater Panel to put at the repeater site. Each group of taxis and the supporting base could have it's own "PL" tone. You would have to have the repeater drop out very short and have the mobile's transmit set to inhibit on a busy receive. That would work and is very old school. But in essence every one ( drivers and dispatch) would be able to hear all the conversations if they wanted to. With a bunch of taxis, it would be a cluster.

naderi925

Assuming that you are wanting to use the radios you already have, you could get a repeater an what is called a community Repeater Panel to put at the repeater site. Each group of taxis and the supporting base could have it's own "PL" tone. You would have to have the repeater drop out very short and have the mobile's transmit set to inhibit on a busy receive. That would work and is very old school. But in essence every one ( drivers and dispatch) would be able to hear all the conversations if they wanted to. With a bunch of taxis, it would be a cluster.

would it be possible for me to cut the cluster and just allow certain groups to hear each other?

rapidcharger

You could buy a DMR repeater and operate in digital. One frequency, yet two completely separate talk paths. Then from there you can split up the two into separate talk groups. You'll still have to share if you want to make do with one repeater and share it 4 ways but it won't be as bad as described above in reply #5 about the community repeater panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.