Can I scan Bell County with a Pro-92?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatuSChecKa

I am trying to program my bosses old Pro-92. Luckily it is a fancier one that has a PC port.
I programmed it VIA Win92 but when I turn it on and hit Scan, there are no transmissions. It says scanning, and this is not my first rodeo with StarrSoft programming. The bank is on EDACS. Now wondering if it is even possible. I'll post Win92 screenshots if necessary.
I am posting this here just incase it is regional related, and not so much radio related.

Sources:
Pro-92 Page:
Pro-92 - The RadioReference Wiki

Bell County Page:
Bell County Public Safety Trunking System, Various, Texas - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I believe the original version can, I don't think the 92A or 92B versions can track it. See this thread for some discussion of it.

The original uses subaudible Moto tones to direct the scanner to the voice frequency, whereas the A & B uses CC trunking and the CC directs the scanner to the voice channel based on the band plan coded into the firmware of the scanner.

So is it an original or A or B? See the Pro-92 wiki for identification tips.

StatuSChecKa

lol, thanks anyway, this bums be out, I wanted to help out my boss, I was so damn close.
I was so exited that this one had a PC Port...

Now that you mention it. One of our Photographers had a PRO-92. It must have been the original one because he did not have a PC port so I programmed it by hand and it worked!
Why the drastic firmware changes between the three models?!

StatuSChecKa

Any way you can give me a quick technical sentence or two that I cant tell him why it wont work?
I feel i been slacking off at work lately so I want it to appear that I really tried. (Which I did)

Linn

Bell County

Your bank is set to closed mode. Set it to open mode and see if you hear anything.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
The original model had firmware that tracked the subaudible tones transmitted by the control channel. Each voice channel had to be programmed in, in order. When it received these tones (similar in concept to DCS tones, except it's not used for squelching but as a command), it used the data stream to determine which voice channel to use (notice "channel") at a certain position in the lineup. When the newer models were released the firmware had been rewritten and now scanner only reads the data to tell it what voice channel in the lineup it should listen to next, according to the programmed bandplan. In this way it was like the newer scanners that can perform "control channel only trunking." The newer firmware must not have a correct bandplan, or it should work.

This is how I understand it.

At any rate, it can obviously receive the frequencies, so why not program them as analog conventional, and let them scan (just leave the control channel out). Then at least you'll hear conversations (though you'll hear every conversation, and snippets thereof in no particular order). Some action is better than no action in my opinion.

StatuSChecKa

So I should leave out the channels in red? That sounds odd.
Do I leave leave that line blank, or do I shift everything up?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
When programming them as independent analog conventional frequencies, the order would not matter, you're treating each one as an individual repeater essentially.

The question about the control channels is a tricky one. Whichever one is the active control channel you won't want to listen to (because of the buzzing), but if they alternate regularly between the "red ones" then you might miss some snippets of conversation if you didn't include them at all, and they were talking on some of the inactive control channels. When the frequency isn't being used as a control channel they use it as a voice channel, so it wouldn't help to leave it out.

It's kind of a toss up to leave them in or take them out. Leaving them in you have to be careful not to lock them out permanently, so that when they are not in use you can hear the voice traffic on them. Not programming them is going to leave you with missed transmissions (but conventionally scanning a trunked system will do that anyway).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I believe the original version can, I don't think the 92A or 92B versions can track it. See this thread for some discussion of it.

The original uses subaudible Moto tones to direct the scanner to the voice frequency, whereas the A & B uses CC trunking and the CC directs the scanner to the voice channel based on the band plan coded into the firmware of the scanner.

So is it an original or A or B? See the Pro-92 wiki for identification tips.
John,
Sounds like you're think "Motorola".
Bell County is an EDACS system, and as per StatuSChecKa's screen shot, that's how he has it set up.

I don't have a '92, and not in range of that system, so I can't really offer much else useful on why it's not working.

StatuSChecKa, if you manually step through the frequencies on that back, do you hear anything, on any of them? Any voice traffic? The Control channel?

Highpockets

Looking at the screen shot you posted, I don't think with that scanner you can mix conv freq's with edacs. Try getting rid of that alpha tag, mode and Freq in the 00 slot, or lock it out.

I could be wrong, but give it a try.

Try locking out 20 on down also or clear them out.

Last edited:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
There is nothing apparent from your screen shot that is wrong. Highpockets, that is the default "nothing in the channel" for a PRO-92. The alpha-tag is ignored anyway.

I would remove the delay on all channels, you probably should mark the unused ones as unused. As pointed out above, if closed, we need to see the screenshot of the the other side (where the TGs are) or you can change the system to open. Can you actually hear the control channel? Can you hear any traffic on the voice channels when holding on one of them?

I noticed a news item on the system that says it will be moving to narrow band EDACS then to ProVoice, since those are mutually incompatible and there have been ProVoice rumors for years I am not too sure what to believe; however, if it is now Narrowband, the Pro-92 will not be able to follow it.

Highpockets

There is nothing apparent from your screen shot that is wrong. Highpockets, that is the default "nothing in the channel" for a PRO-92. The alpha-tag is ignored anyway.

I would remove the delay on all channels, you probably should mark the unused ones as unused. As pointed out above, if closed, we need to see the screenshot of the the other side (where the TGs are) or you can change the system to open. Can you actually hear the control channel? Can you hear any traffic on the voice channels when holding on one of them?

I noticed a news item on the system that says it will be moving to narrow band EDACS then to ProVoice, since those are mutually incompatible and there have been ProVoice rumors for years I am not too sure what to believe; however, if it is now Narrowband, the Pro-92 will not be able to follow it.

Thanks Lou,

I didn't know that was the default for nothing in channel. I thought I read a while back that you couldn't mix Conv/Edacs in same bank in that scanner, but, not knowing that was the default for nothing in channel teaches me something, thanks!

StatuSChecKa

Right now we still have EDACS Standard.
I have nothing in the alpha tags, so I will continue to trouble shoot in open mode.

StatuSChecKa

Holy crap, audio just started coming through...I swear I did nothing to it since yesterday afternoon!
I have a pro-97 sitting right next to it scanning this morning, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Standby for updates, I'm weirded out..

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Using local WX freq locked out in bank 0 on line 00 will remind user to press Scan at start-up.

Attachments

• Win92.jpg
    Win92.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Bell EDACS Standard, Current

Right now we still have EDACS Standard.
I have nothing in the alpha tags, so I will continue to trouble shoot in open mode.

Yes, I can confirm that Bell county is still using EDACS standard. I too have heard rumor of them going to ProVoice, but it has not happened yet.

There is another monitoring possibility, the Android application route.
Since I've never used a smart phone to listen, I don't know if they cover the more sensitive talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.