can i TX on a Discone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

i am building a jpole to put in the attic in the spring, i currently have a 3 element hustler dcx discone in the attic, can i transmit on it with my HT without damaging anything? i know it has such a wide range but its got to be better then the rubber duck until i get the jpole up there...

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some of them you can (the Icom one, I know you can). You will need to check the specs to make sure

73 Mike

D

DaveNF2G

Sure you can. Discones made for scanners can handle up to about 100 watts without damage.

Most discones with at lest 8 elements would be fine. The Hustler with only 3 elements may not work so well; personally I wouldn't use the Hustler for transmitting.

mastr

I have one of those Hustler discones, it is mounted right to a tower leg, and is about 20 years old. I have used it for TX many times, with up to 50-60w. It performs as well as I expected, i.e. better than nothing.

k8tmk

Yes, you can transmit on a discone. However, because it is a wide-band antenna, it can also easily transmit harmonics (multiples) of your intended frequency (not a good thing!). Some of these harmonics may even be outside an amateur band (also not a good thing!). A properly-made antenna will greatly reduce the possibility of transmitting unwanted signals.

Randy, K8TMK

Status
Not open for further replies.