Can i use car usb ports for HP2 Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I've got 2 HP2's, one for home, and then i just got one for the road, and i do have a cig plug for it, but because of its location, i cant keep it plugged in all the time, but our new suv has many USB ports in it, can i use the cable the HP2 came with or a longer cable to keep plugged into a USB port, instead of using the cig plug? Thx.

ecarvalho

I don't see why not but I don't own one of those HomePatrol II so wait for someone else to chime in.
Have you attempted to charge it with the car USB port?
What about a cigarette lighter USB adapter?

marksmith

Yes you can use the car usb ports. It may or may not charge while the radio is playing, but you can definitely power from there.

I have been powering hp2 radios in a variety of cars either using the usb ports directly, or with a cigarette lighter/usb adaptor whether or not they are ignition controlled.

All worked fine.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yes you can use the car usb ports. It may or may not charge while the radio is playing, but you can definitely power from there.

I have been powering hp2 radios in a variety of cars either using the usb ports directly, or with a cigarette lighter/usb adaptor whether or not they are ignition controlled.

All worked fine.

536/436/ws1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

The ignition-controlled plugs were driving me crazy. My Sorento has 5 factory receptacles throughout the vehicle and all ignition-controlled. There were times when would only be out of the car for a few minutes and various devices would shut down then have to start, reboot, etc., when I got back in.

I installed a duplex cigarette lighter receptacle under the dash on the passenger side. It was easy. I used a fuse tap plugged in to a "non-ignition" spot on the fuse block. The wiring was run behind the dash and console to the receptacle. It only took about 30 minutes. It stays "hot" all the time. It blends in with the car beautifully. As a matter of fact, a Kia mechanic saw it and commented that he didn't know Kia offered that accessory.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Info, just what I needed to know, greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A standard USB port supplies a minimum of 1000mA at 5V. The 436HP only draws 170-250mA. I would expect the HP2 to be similar. Any USB port should be able to power the scanner with no trouble.

I would ensure the USB cable you connect to the scanner has a ferrite bead on it to block any RFI from the vehicle electronics. Also, if your ports are switched, you can plug a portable phone charger battery bank into the vehicle USB port, and plug the scanner into the portable charger. Even the smallest capacity units will run the scanner for a few hours. It's less hassle than running new wiring, and can be easily transferred with the scanner from one vehicle to another.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Since the OP never mentioned the car/model/year - I'd preface with probably.

There were some early adopters that had little to no power, just used as an input for the audio system

Check the specs for the vehicle - especially if it's a few years old. Otherwise - get one of those USB devices that show your power consumption. Under 10 bucks on Amazon.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Also, if your ports are switched, you can plug a portable phone charger battery bank into the vehicle USB port, and plug the scanner into the portable charger. Even the smallest capacity units will run the scanner for a few hours. It's less hassle than running new wiring, and can be easily transferred with the scanner from one vehicle to another.

I can use the cigarette lighter plugs to charge my phone, charge my tablet, run my little portable fridge, run my GPS, charge my portable ham radios, etc. (but not all at the same time), It was well worth the 30 minutes worth of "hassle" to put it in.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
i found a long cable, and plugged it into one of my USB ports, and it worked great, thanks a bunch for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.