• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can I Use These for Antennas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
I am considering getting steel whips instead of fiberglass antennas. Can I use these to make antenna work?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412011652267.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1412011652267.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 725

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The 49" whip on it's own won't be enough. They need a loading coil to make them work correctly. As is, those 49" whips will be resonate somewhere near the upper VHF Low Band.

If you want -just- a steel whip, you need to be looking at the 102" whips with a base spring.

PACNWDude

+1 on the 102" whip.

If you park in a garage,go into underground parking, or anything like that and it will get beat up. So any way around using an antenna that long on a vehicle is a good thing.

A tunable FireStick antenna is a little more practical.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Personally, I'd steer clear of the fiberglass antennas. They are too stiff, and contact with a branch at speed will likely damage it, even with a spring.

I'd strongly recommend a Larsen NMO27 with a spring.
Stainless steel whip, about 49 Inches long. You can add a spring (you'll have to shorten the whip).
I used these for many years on top of full size trucks and SUV's. They'll stand up to the beating, even without the spring.
It's not a consumer grade antenna, so don't expect consumer prices, but they really are not that expensive. They'll perform very well if they have a proper ground plane underneath them.
If done right, it'll be the last CB antenna you'll need to purchase.

Take a sniff around here:
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catal...-low-band-194/25-31-mhz-cb-10m-high-gain-447/
You'll need an NMO mount for it.

davidjacobs2012

Premium Subscriber
I have to use the standard cb mounts. I drive a dump truck that belongs to the company i work for. I would be interested in steel whips

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
102" whips will be crap on a big truck. If you mount them on top where they will actually work well, you will be constantly hitting low-hanging power lines and tree branches and breaking lights in parking garages. And if you bumper mount them so they are low enough not to snag on everything, your SWR will be high, especially when the whip contacts the truck body.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I have ran the Wilson 2000 with 5in shaft for many years. Personally I wouldn't have anything else. Mine is on a dump truck, mirror mounted and takes a beating daily, never had a single issue at all...

PACNWDude

Firestick and tree branches.

How are firesticks with constant contact with branches? I would use an antenna spring too.

Yes, the spring will be needed with a Firestick antenna also. But it will be shorter than a 102" whip. My Firestick lasted about ten years mounted to a full size SUV, but it did get smacked around by tree branches often. I taped the cap over the top so it wouldn't get torn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.