Can I use walkie-talkies in Mexico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Moved to Mexico forum. Don't know why this was posted in the North Carolina forum?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The thread is asking about Mexico so it should be posted in the Mexico forum. It shouldn't be posted anywhere else therefore there's no cross post.

radiomankc

Hello,

Not sure what frequencies you are talking about but FRS radios are allowed in Mexico but FRS/GMRS radios are NOT permitted.

TheSpaceMan

I brought 2 of them with me when I travelled to Mexico. After using them for a few minutes, some guy started screaming at me over the air in Spanish with what sounded like were cuss words! I decided to shut them off until I got back to the States.

Jakeportland

Premium Subscriber
Why is Mexico using GMRs frequencies

Mexico was unfair because I can't use the walkie-talkies freq

Mexico should inks the laws about to. To the public frequencies for GMR frequencies
The US GMRs is unfair because Mexico's using the freq

n5ims

Just like in the US, Mexico has a radio service similar to FRS where folks can use walkie-talkies license free. There's one catch though, to legally use them in Mexico, the radios must be certified in Mexico (like the ones in the US must be certified in the US). You can't just take a US FRS radio down to Mexico and pretend it's legal to use there, it isn't!

The radio may look the same, work the same and all that, but if it doesn't have the Mexican certification it can get you in big trouble if you use it south of the border. This little fact was lost on folks I was riding with on a tour bus several years ago and it cost all of us a couple of hours time and the folks their radios. It almost cost them much more but since the tour bus was from a major cruise line that had folks nearby that could talk to the authorities and handle things just right, we were able to continue with our tour.

One side note. If you do plan to use your US FRS radio down in Mexico and are stopped at a checkpoint, DO NOT USE THEM. Especially to tell folks on the bus behind you about the checkpoint. The Mexican authorities that man the checkpoints are really sensitive about things like that.

Read this for more information on using FRS type radios in Mexico. http://www.qsl.net/wd9ewk/xe-frs.html

Last edited:

teufler

At the Mexico Rally, one of the drivers from the mid west, who was a ham, had to remove his ham gear from the rally car, and refrain from using his ham ht. Here in the states, Rally comms are mostly, sat 90% ham radio while in Mexico, ham radio is not used, commerciaL GEAR IS USED. Carlos Slim, I believe thats his name, is big in Mexico on telecomm.

Cowthief

Hello.

You can request a license for GMRS in Mexico, it costs something like $7 US.
As far as being certified Mexican radio, yes, but that is not pushed very hard.
What is being pushed is use around "sensitive" areas, check points, that type of thing.
But, this is also true of cellphones and the like.
If the police or military is doing its thing, do NOT talk on your electronic device!
That is actually in the rules, you may NOT use your radio or telephone in the presence of officials without permission.
On the plus side, if your radio is hidden from view when the officials board they will never see your radio.

ecps92

Do you have a link to request the Mexico license ??

Hello.

You can request a license for GMRS in Mexico, it costs something like $7 US.
As far as being certified Mexican radio, yes, but that is not pushed very hard.
What is being pushed is use around "sensitive" areas, check points, that type of thing.
But, this is also true of cellphones and the like.
If the police or military is doing its thing, do NOT talk on your electronic device!
That is actually in the rules, you may NOT use your radio or telephone in the presence of officials without permission.
On the plus side, if your radio is hidden from view when the officials board they will never see your radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.