can it be done, or wasting money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4ELO

Last edited:

W2NJS

Comet makes a diplexer that would allow you to run one antenna output into two roof antennas, each antenna being a dualbander rather than a quadbander. It might, I say might, provide better results than the quanband antenna. The Comet unit is a CF-4160 and costs abour $60.00 plus shipping from any of the ham stores. Besides the cost of two antennas vs one antenna (which might be a wash) you would have to provide two mounting locations on the car.

W9JY

Premium Subscriber
make sure to consider that each output of that cf530c has it's own passband. one output will allow 1.3-90mhz pass. the other output will allow 125-470mhz to pass.

KK4ELO

Comet makes a diplexer that would allow you to run one antenna output into two roof antennas, each antenna being a dualbander rather than a quadbander. It might, I say might, provide better results than the quanband antenna. The Comet unit is a CF-4160 and costs abour $60.00 plus shipping from any of the ham stores. Besides the cost of two antennas vs one antenna (which might be a wash) you would have to provide two mounting locations on the car.

thanks w2njs, ill look into that for sure. i dont mind the antennas, already have 4 on the roof now...lol.

make sure to consider that each output of that cf530c has it's own passband. one output will allow 1.3-90mhz pass. the other output will allow 125-470mhz to pass.

ok thanks. what i was thinking was bring one splitter from the radio, the put the other two off of the first on their respective sides to make four separate antennas. one for each band. i figured they were band pass type filters, thats why i was thinking it may work if hooked up right. but i see that wont work. thanks kc9uxg.

Last edited:

LtDoc

Can it be done? Yes. But there are consequences. One is co$t, the other is some loss of signal strength. Would either be enough to not do it? I have no idea. You always pay for convenience, no getting around that.
- 'Doc

jhooten

http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/pdfdocs/CR8900.pdf

This is the only antenna I have used on my 8900 that has ever worked properly, was easy to install, and did not require tuning or duplexers. Just make sure you get the one cut for the American band plan. Which means you cannot order from the discounter in China.

They run a little over $100 BUT, are cheap opposed to a dupelxer/triplexer, multiple cable assemblies, 6m/2m/70cm tribander, 10m and the cluttered look caused by multiple antennas.

BTW they are excellent radios. And 10 FM is booming lately.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.