• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can M1225 be programmed while linked via ACCY to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hans13

I have a simple repeater consisting of two M1225 radios and want to take a look at the code plug of the radios. I can't successfully read from either radio. When I do a comtest, the radio beeps, radio screen does something, there is a delay, and then comtest says no active radio. I'm using version 4.0 of the programming software under XP. The cable is a USB to serial type (not cheap Chinese) sold by a ham operator.

I realize that there are a variety of factors in programming these radios and may not be the easiest thing in the world to get them to connect. However, I'm trying to look at the different variables. In this thread, I am asking:

Do I need to disconnected to radios from each other at the ACCY connector before trying to communicate with one of the radios? In other words, will something connected to the ACCY prevent the radio from communicating sucessfully with the programming computer?

Hans13

RSS does not work well with USB cables.

"I realize that there are a variety of factors in programming these radios and may not be the easiest thing in the world to get them to connect. However, I'm trying to look at the different variables. In this thread, I am asking:"

I am very much aware of that, thanks.

Do you have an answer to the question? I have these radios on a buyer return time limit and want to check some things out. The ACCY wiring is messy so I don't want to disturb it unless I absolutely must. Can one read from a radio when it is still wired up to a second on the ACCY connector?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
With Chinese "Repeater Cables" running $10 online, what is it really going to hurt to disconnect the existing cable and try again?

Hans13

With Chinese "Repeater Cables" running $10 online, what is it really going to hurt to disconnect the existing cable and try again?

You might have cross posted with me.

"I have these radios on a buyer return time limit and want to check some things out. The ACCY wiring is messy so I don't want to disturb it unless I absolutely must."

12dbsinad

Do I need to disconnected to radios from each other at the ACCY connector before trying to communicate with one of the radios? In other words, will something connected to the ACCY prevent the radio from communicating sucessfully with the programming computer?

Not that I am aware of. I program them all the time with things connected to the ACCY connector. Unless there is something going on with the "messy wiring". Does the radio function OK otherwise?

Hans13

Thank you for that answer. :)

I have no way to test the function of the radios right now. The guy does have a reputation for producing working repeaters of this type. Friends of mine have used his repeaters.

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
I have reprogrammed my repeaters using those radios multiple times without unplugging the accessory connector. Some are RICK based, some Trident and some home brew cables but none fail in the RSS. I only use a RIB with a serial port and cable in mic jack (same as maxtrac/gm300)

jim202

You have provided little to no information on how your trying to program the radios.

As has been posted on this site numerous times, these older radios need to be programmed by computers running a pure DOS operating computer. The next variable is to use a serial connection from the computer to a RIB ( radio interface box ) that changes the voltage levels between the radio and the computer. Then you need the programming cable to go between the RIB and the radio.

The computer needs to be one with a clock speed less than about 1 GHz. You might also need to run a small program called "cacheoff.com" before starting the Motorola radio programming software. This shuts off the computer cache that messes up the Motorola software most of the time.

You have to understand that this software was wrote 20 years ago or more when there was none of the fancy stuff computers we have today. A USB connection didn't exist back then. Everything was done by the RS232 serial connection. So trying to run this configuration via a DOSBOX type connection under Windows XP or newer with a USB to serial adapter is generally going to fail.

Now you can understand why those of us with these older radios visit the older computer repair places (stores) and ask them if they have any older computers they want to get rid of. I pick up any I can locate and get them running. You will also need the PS2 keyboard and mouse to go with these older computers. I tend to stay away from the computers that require the large round connection for the keyboard that is about a 1/2 inch in size, because they also require you to use a serial port mouse. Just remember they need to run DOS, have a hard drive formatted in the FAT32 format. The DOS can not use a hard drive larger than 80 GB. So trying to use a larger hard drive won't work.

Obtaining the DOS software is easy. Just get on the Internet and download it. Something in the order of version 6.2 to about something in the low version 7 will work just fine. Getting a download that has an .msi suffix will allow you to make a floppy on your Windows computer that is a boot disk. Take that floppy boot disk and put it into your old (DOS) computer and format the hard drive and put the DOS onto the hard drive.

One trick I do is to split the formatting of the hard drive into 2 sections. I use about a 20 GB partition for DOS and then load Windows XP on the remaining area in the 2nd partition. This way I can use both DOS and Windows XP on the same computer. This allows me to share files easily between my different computers. It also allows me to backup the DOS radio programming files on other computers in case the DOS programmed hard drive crashes on me. I get a little paranoid about loosing data from my many years working on radios.

If you need a small hard drive in the order of 80 GB, with the IDE interface, there are loads of them advertised on AMAZON. I tend to collect them from the older computers that have crashed on me and the motherboard has failed. I keep a box of them on the shelf from old computers I have had to junk due to failures.

If you have the connectors and can solder, it's easy to make your own cables. I do it all the time.

Good luck on your venture with programming these radios. Let the group know how you make out and what your using to try to program these radios.

Last edited:

evfd1625

The Radius M1225 series had a Windows version of the RSS...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

12dbsinad

I have Windows M1225/P1225 that I use with a CF-19 Toughbook running XP and it runs fine. I do however use a factory Motorola RS232 cable.

Other than being extremely rugged, Toughbooks are nice because it is the last of the laptops that still have a RS232 port.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I have Windows M1225/P1225 that I use with a CF-19 Toughbook running XP and it runs fine. I do however use a factory Motorola RS232 cable.

Other than being extremely rugged, Toughbooks are nice because it is the last of the laptops that still have a RS232 port.
I believe RSS (yes, not CPS) 4.0 is the last version (MOL isn't working right now for me to double check) and it indeed works just fine in XP.

You can still get HP ProBooks with real serial ports these days, we have several in our shop.

12dbsinad

I believe RSS (yes, not CPS) 4.0 is the last version (MOL isn't working right now for me to double check) and it indeed works just fine in XP.

I believe you are correct.

You can still get HP ProBooks with real serial ports these days, we have several in our shop.

Surprising. I wonder how long they'll keep that up. We just got a bunch of newly released CF-20 Toughbooks/tablets. They still have the port.

Hans13

You have provided little to no information on how your trying to program the radios.

(This is not directed at you in particular, Jim. :) )

With sincere respect, I provided more information than was needed to answer my initial question. I appreciate how some are taking time here. However, I wasn't asking for help to program the radios. I was asking one specific question. I was already aware of the rest of the unsolicited information that has been given in this thread, and none of it was necessary to answer the question I was asking.

Sometimes I cringe before asking a question here on Radio Reference. A lot of people seem to ignore a specific question asked. If y'all will notice I didn't ask for help programming these radios. I just asked if it could be done with something plugged into the ACCY connector.

Thank you all for the time. Enjoy discussing if you want.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy

To be more specific, RSS 3.1 was built to run in Windows (granted 98 and 2000) but will run reliably on XP. RSS 4.0 was specifically built for XP and will run reliably on 7 as long as it's a x86 (32 bit) base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hans13

To follow up... The problem was the USB programming cable. It was a good quality one but the seller had two manufacturers. He sent me the other one that he sells and it worked flawlessly. Frankly, I didn't think that it would. I'm going to call him this evening to let him know and to thank him.

Radios: Motorola M1225
RSS: 4.0
Ebay Cable Vendor: BluMax49ers (KJ6ZWL)

KJ6ZWL provides a good cable and he is very easy to work with. Thanks KJ6ZWL! And, thank you to everyone who provided information in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.