• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

can ma/comdo simpluex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I'm actually glad he asked. I'm not real familiar w/ how a trunking system could do simplex, but the thought crossed my mind just yesterday. I saw some Spectra radios and how they can change to simplex at the touch of a button (talkaround?), but my guess is that it would not work on a trunked system. It's my understanding that the repeaters control all the frequencies, and [/B][/B]therefore all the radios. So I would say no matter what band the system is on (VHF-Hi, UHF, or 800), simplex/talkaround would only be for conventional channels. I do, however, think that a radio can have trunked and simplex in the same radio. Does anyone know how many different trunked systems can go into one modern radio, like say a Spectra? And can anyone answer this trunked talkaround question with certainty?

N

N_Jay

Trunked mode operation is is always duplex and usually repeated,
Almost all trunked radios can have conventional modes (Channels).
Almost all radios capable of conventional mode can have simplex channels.
All of this, if available, is able to be locked out by programming.

The number of modes, and systems varies by radio type.

Oh, and just to close the loop on teh original question, M/A-COM does make trunked and conventional radio equipment.

Gilligan

Database Admin
N_Jay said:
Trunked mode operation is is always duplex and usually repeated
Usually? Please elaborate. How would it not be on a repeater? That was the main question I still have? I've never heard of simplex trunking.

N

N_Jay

Gilligan said:
Usually? Please elaborate. How would it not be on a repeater? That was the main question I still have? I've never heard of simplex trunking.

It is always duplex.

Some systems allow the console to operate the talkgroup in full duplex non-repeat.

jungle

To reply to GILLIGAN's question regarding "One touch of a button can take you from trunked operation to (Talk around) simplex operation" Yes this is possible thru a programming function. When setting up the personality of each radio we define where we want to steer the radio to. We do this so that a field unit can "toggle" between a tRS and conventional quickly should the need arise to.

tfr

Most (if not all) MA/COM radios can be programmed to have both trunked (EDACS, P25) and conventional sets. These cannot be used simultaneously but can be switched between with a touch of a button.

Status
Not open for further replies.