• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can my Moto xts be reprogramed to work with Moto cp200d

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzer189

At my new job we use Motorola cp200 and cp200d uhf radios. I still have my Motorola xts5000 from my prior job. The model xts i have according to the frequency chart / model number identification is -
Position 4 - S = Frequency Band470 to 520MHz
Position 8 - Primary Operation = Programmable
Position 9 - Primary System Type = Programmable

Can this radio be reprogramed to work with my fellow employees cp200d's

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are the CP200 radios on? If the band splits for the radios are the same they should talk to each other if properly programmed, but in analog only. The XTS is P25 for digital and the CP200D is DMR. They are not compatible with each other on digital.

panzer189

What frequencies are the CP200 radios on? If the band splits for the radios are the same they should talk to each other if properly programmed, but in analog only. The XTS is P25 for digital and the CP200D is DMR. They are not compatible with each other on digital.
Since some of the guys are using the cp200 it has to be analog from what I understand. According to the model number on my cp200d this is the frequency 136-174 / 403-470Mhz uhf.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200920-194158_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20200920-194158_Motion photo viewer.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 21

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
As mentioned, yes.... but only in analog. The fact that you are still using cp200s could be a good clue that this is indeed the case.

panzer189

Ok perfect, would you have any reference material on how to get my exact frequency from my cp200d so I can program it to the xts? Or can this only be done by company? I'll buy any software and attachments needed if you have any recommendations?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'll point out a few other things:

Per FCC rules, the licensee is the only one who can add radios to their system.
§90.427 Precautions against unauthorized operation.
(a) Each transmitter shall be so installed and protected that it is not accessible to or capable of operation by persons other than those duly authorized by and under the control of the licensee. Provisions of this part authorizing certain unlicensed persons to operate stations, or authorizing unattended operation of stations in certain circumstances, shall not be construed to change or diminish in any respect the responsibility of station licensees to maintain control over the stations licensed to them (including all transmitter units thereof), or for the proper functioning and operation of those stations and transmitter units in accordance with the terms of the licenses of those stations

Translation = The person/company whose name is on the FCC license is responsible for all radios used under that license. That includes your radio if you are using it as part of your job. You, as an individual, do not have an FCC license for those frequencies.
There's nothing wrong with what you want to do, just make sure you get something in writing from your employer that says you are permitted to have your own radio operating on their radio system and under their license.
That also means that your radio needs to meet all the requirements that are set under their license. That means meeting emission requirements, power levels, usage locations, etc.

Not a big deal, lots of people do it. Just make sure you have the paperwork in hand, and that your radio is fully up to snuff.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Ok perfect, would you have any reference material on how to get my exact frequency from my cp200d so I can program it to the xts? Or can this only be done by company? I'll buy any software and attachments needed if you have any recommendations?

That model number you listed for the CP200d is 403-470 MHz. I don't believe there is any such thing as 470-520 MHz split on the XTS. There is 380-470 and 450-520. So as long as it is one of those two, you shouldn't have a problem.

The frequency is only one of the items you need. You also need to know if they are using a CTCSS/DCS tone, etc. It would be best to ask whomever handles your radios for your company. To get the frequency, you can also search the FCC database for your company.

panzer189

That model number you listed for the CP200d is 403-470 MHz. I don't believe there is any such thing as 470-520 MHz split on the XTS. There is 380-470 and 450-520. So as long as it is one of those two, you shouldn't have a problem.

The frequency is only one of the items you need. You also need to know if they are using a CTCSS/DCS tone, etc. It would be best to ask whomever handles your radios for your company. To get the frequency, you can also search the FCC database for your company.
We just bought them straight from motorolla 20 some years ago. We don't have a repater or anything other than what ever the cp200 came programed with. I didnt know we even had an FCC license since we are just using 2 way radios for security in our club with such limited range. Honestly we could get by with cobra walkie talkies but 25 years ago when we opened there wasn't as many options as there are now. Thank all of you for your help, I really appreciate it.

panzer189

Also here is where I got the 470 to 520 from. My 4 letter is S. Am I wrong? If I am sorry, I dont know much about this but learning. Btw this came from the Motorola xts5000 type2 manual just so you know where I got the chart.

Attachments

• 20200921_141008.jpg
    20200921_141008.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20200921-140216_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20200921-140216_Drive.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 15

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Also here is where I got the 470 to 520 from. My 4 letter is S. Am I wrong? If I am sorry, I dont know much about this but learning. Btw this came from the Motorola xts5000 type2 manual just so you know where I got the chart.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that chart, honestly. There's definitely no 470-520 split on those radios, to my knowledge. The document that K2NEC posted is the one I'm familiar with as far as bandsplits are concerned.

I didnt know we even had an FCC license since we are just using 2 way radios for security in our club with such limited range.

That wouldn't surprise me. A lot of businesses use the radios unlicensed. But legally, you are required to have a license for any frequency those radios cover. I personally would not use my own radio if the business is not licensed, because if something would happen (i.e. causing interference to someone else) and the FCC got involved, they are very likely to come down on you personally as well. If you are using a business-issued radio, you can claim ignorance and let your employer take the 5-6 figure hit in fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.