can my scanner pick up Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trancefreak99

Update!!

Well I finally got my BCD996XT Scanner.
I had one lined up from Kijiji but the bugger backed out last second. So I ended up buying a new one :)
I always like buying new when it comes to electronics so maybee its for the best.

So Ive been reading the Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual
from Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual . I must say there is alot here But it is A whole lot better then what ever that is thats on the cd that comes with the scanner!!

So Now I just need to program it. People have recomended that i get software to program it and then maybee someone can look at the file to see if im getting anywhere close.

Do I have to use software to program the scanner or can it be done just using the scanner front?? Im guessing both can be done but using the scaner might be tedious and take forever. Is that the benefit to using software??

Anyways What are some good suggestions for software? If I dont have to pay for it that would be better unless it makes a big difference and is worth it to buy.

I have downloaded freescan and am just going thru it now to see if I can understand where to put the info from RR (Bell FleetNet - Ontario Provincial Government Zone 1) and just trying to input all the data for a system with a few sites and groups.
If anyone is familiar with this program and would be willing to take a look at a file for me for some advice or even send me one to study that would be awesome!! or if you recomend another one instead im willing to try !!

Thanks again

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If you take a look at the top of the forum, you'll see a sticky which lists a bunch of threads with Fleetnet info for various types of scanners. I believe the 996XT is in there.

It's always good to learn how to program the scanner by hand as a lot of these programs don't always program the systems correctly and it's easier to troubleshoot if you understand how it should be done.

Try programming a site close to you by hand first. It's not that hard to do and will be a great learning experience.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Congrats on your new 996xt..
I have both the 396xt & 996xt and love them.. alot better than my old GRE / RADIO SHACK PRO-96.
Although these scanners are alittle harder to get used to in the beginning.. even after having them over a year ..i am still learning new things about them evert day..and still have alot to learn about them.
I went with the FREESCAN software.. and it is FREE...for me it does the job.
Makes programming alot easier..also quicker..
Good luck with your new radio..and the great thing about this forum is all the guys on here are always willing to help us out.

trancefreak99

If you take a look at the top of the forum, you'll see a sticky which lists a bunch of threads with Fleetnet info for various types of scanners. I believe the 996XT is in there.

It's always good to learn how to program the scanner by hand as a lot of these programs don't always program the systems correctly and it's easier to troubleshoot if you understand how it should be done.

Try programming a site close to you by hand first. It's not that hard to do and will be a great learning experience.

Thanks for the tip. I should have mentioned I also read thru that sticky and there is 2 of them
1 is for the 396XT.

The other is for Bc-780 BC-785D BC-250D BC-296D BC-796D ONLY. That's what it says exactly

Would one of these be pretty close?

trancefreak99

Congrats on your new 996xt..
I have both the 396xt & 996xt and love them.. alot better than my old GRE / RADIO SHACK PRO-96.
Although these scanners are alittle harder to get used to in the beginning.. even after having them over a year ..i am still learning new things about them evert day..and still have alot to learn about them.
I went with the FREESCAN software.. and it is FREE...for me it does the job.
Makes programming alot easier..also quicker..
Good luck with your new radio..and the great thing about this forum is all the guys on here are always willing to help us out.

Hey kirk23 if I made up a file with a few sites on it would u be willing to take a look at it and see if it looks familiar or totally messed up? Or maybe send me one to look at?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on the new purchase Trance!!!. I love my 996xt. If you need help programming I can look over your file if you want. If you want, I can send you a file from ARCXTPro. Just tell me what you want to listen too :)

trancefreak99

Thanks for the Responses guys I just realized that the sticky here for the 396xt looks exactly like or very similar to the 996xt as MikeOxlong pointed out (Thanks alot!!) so Im going to attempt to program a site or two and a few TGs thru the scanner itself like some here suggest i learn to do. Im also going to make up a file in freescan and see what you guys think. Thanks Kirk I will PM you!

trancefreak99

Ok Guys Great News!!!!!
I was able to program my first System with 1 site and 1 talkgroup following Forts Sticky on this forum.
Very well written and easy to follow.
I cant believe how much clearer digital is compared to listening to my analog scanner WOW !! Im lovin this :) And im proud of myself lol. This may be a small feat but going thru this I am understanding more and more as I go. That bieng said I do have a few questions

following the sticky when you are programing the bandplan You have to enter the base lower and base upper frequency. It gives you the upper base frequency but doesnt say how it is acquired/calculated since it is not given here on RR's custom frequency tables.

also when i program the site frequencies it tells you to only program the primary and secondary control channels. and its obviously working awesome but is there no need to program the other frequencies in the table? thanks again everyone!!

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Ok Guys Great News!!!!!
I was able to program my first System with 1 site and 1 talkgroup following Forts Sticky on this forum.
Very well written and easy to follow.
I cant believe how much clearer digital is compared to listening to my analog scanner WOW !! Im lovin this :) And im proud of myself lol. This may be a small feat but going thru this I am understanding more and more as I go. That bieng said I do have a few questions

following the sticky when you are programing the bandplan You have to enter the base lower and base upper frequency. It gives you the upper base frequency but doesnt say how it is acquired/calculated since it is not given here on RR's custom frequency tables.

also when i program the site frequencies it tells you to only program the primary and secondary control channels. and its obviously working awesome but is there no need to program the other frequencies in the table? thanks again everyone!!

You can if you want too, it don't matter, The good thing with the 996xt is it has a "control channel only" mode, to where it will decode the control channel of all TX's as long as they are not encrypted. I am not sure how freescan works, as i've never used it, but in ARCXTPRO in the MOT custom table their is a button you can click that will calculate the upper freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.