• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can Not Program Vertex VX-451

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterdazz

Having a problem with the computer recognizing the radio.

The software is CE115
1 cable from USB to Radio

When I try to upload the radio into the software, it says to turn radio on. When I do it does not recognize it.

Ive tried switching the com ports and still nothing.
Any help would be great.
Thanks

cabletech

First off, What WinOS are you using? There have lots of reports that the program does not even attempt to play nice when using Win8 and just barely plays well in 7. XP is so much better.

Have you verifyed the com port you are using?

So, if you are using XP and have verifyed com port USB 2, open program, plug cable into radio, turn radio on, click on upload to computer, (read), now it will tell you to turn radio on, so turn it off then back on and it should start to read.

Once you read it, as long as you do not turn radio off and/or close the program you can make changes and then write with out 'turning on' the radio, as the computer and radio are still in a 'link mode'

I just did 25 rewrites today with no problems.

Webmasterdazz

I am running windows 7. But I tried on a laptop running XP pro.I think I have the right com port.The com port says (Prolific USB to Serial Comm port (Com 3)).The only thing I can think of is that the Driver is not correct.The driver disc has a few different ones. Here is a pic.If you have a driver that works can you send a link if you thinks that's the problem.

Attachments

• files.JPG
    files.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,356

cabletech

I can not do any thing with those files.

Ok, so the computer sees the cable, just go to prolific.com and down load the PL2303 driver for both XP and 7.

Load the correct one on which ever computer.

Recheck the device manager for the port#.

Open the program select the correct com port, then connect the radio, turn it on and try to read.

Short of haveing the computer, cable & radio in my hands, I have done what I could.

If that still does not work then you have other problems.

jreinhar

Not trying to derail the thread here but... I am awaiting delivery of my VX-451 and I am wondering to program it do I just need the CE115 software and the USB cable to the radio? I have seen things talking about a FIF box, can I program it without that? Thanks in advance.

wa2chj

The FIF cable is only needed to update the radio's firmware. However, even some of the radios that say the FIF cable is required do not actually need it as there is new software that uses the regular cable available from Vertex.

jreinhar

Excellent, thank you for the info! I received my radio today now waiting on the cable.
Thanks for your help.

John

IZ2QPV

Luckily found this track while looking for an interface to program my VX-451, and I'm happy to know someone succeeded without FIF-12 + CT-106 components.

Most cheap programming cables available on-line explicitly say they cannot work with the CE-115 software, nor vendors reply about which software could be used! It seems quite curious...

Could you please help me picking up the right cable and software?

Thank you so much!
francesco

notmyj

I have been using CE115 (version 1.08) and a generic programming cable to program and update firmware on a vx454 and 459. At first I had issues with the cable too. You will have to find an old driver for the Prolific PL2303. The market was flooded with knockoff chips a while back so a new driver was released that will not work with the knock off chips. Do a google search for Prolific Old Driver. You should find links to the drivers. Once you have one that works, it was work without issue.

Also, in CE115 make sure you have the right com port selected. After doing the above, mine has worked 100% of the time even while updating the firmware on the radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.