TRX-1: can not update CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
When the computer is in "sleep" or off I connect TRx1 turn on or wakeup computer (win 7, 64bit) the computer recognizes scanner, computer clock works ok - then when going thru to the CPU update the computer says 'waiting for USB' and then is no longer listed under device manager, drive which was listed on turn on is not there, unplugging radio plugging it back in the computer sound of recognition is heard but radio no longer listed/connect, restart computer and radio is listed ........but wont update

any more sugestions?

ecarvalho

I don't own a TRX-1 but don't you need to put the radio in cpu update mode? Sorry if Im off base here...

DJ11DLN

The computer doesn't need to be off when you connect, the scanner does...press and hold the menu key when you connect it to the computer, that puts it in CPU update mode.

BrianG61UK

The computer doesn't need to be off when you connect, the scanner does...press and hold the menu key when you connect it to the computer, that puts it in CPU update mode.
You shouldn't need to go into CPU update mode unless your first attempt failed and you were left with a scanner which doesn't hsve working firmware on it.

Just switch the scanner off, connect to the computer, wait for the computer to recognize the scanner and ask if you want to do anything with the files on the SD card, start EZ-Scan, and do the update.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Reboot the computer, try a NEW usb cable and if that doesn't resolve it then Reinstall the comport driver for the scanner.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Update problems

My Whistler upgraded Pro-18 failed several times before updating. The new instructions differ from the RS firmware/updates, but I could not get my scanner to shut off. Removing the batteries and unplugging the USB cable gave me a blank screen, but when power was applied to retry, it came back on the update screen. It took at least 7 tries before I had success.

BrianG61UK

My Whistler upgraded Pro-18 failed several times before updating. The new instructions differ from the RS firmware/updates, but I could not get my scanner to shut off. Removing the batteries and unplugging the USB cable gave me a blank screen, but when power was applied to retry, it came back on the update screen. It took at least 7 tries before I had success.
That probably means your first attempt failed and left the scanner without working firmware.

Some people say it's easier to use the standalone CPU updater when that happens. Others seem to be able to do it with EZ-Scan.

Last edited:

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
tried different cables , I do not restart the computer so the radio can be recognized, but the radio can only be recognize when it is plug in when the computer is asleep,then started;
if the computer is running/on in use and then plug the radio in; the computer recognition Sound is heard but does not show up in devise manager, CPU up date issue today, wont install - screen says error time out.....

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
once again follow my instructions. I fix computers.Sometimes a simple restart or shut down and restart fixes problems. Do it with the scanner disconnected. once fully booted approx 1-2 min for most computers you can then plug the scanner in. if it still won't install the update uninstall the comport driver then reinstall.

BrianG61UK

There are some USB ports and/or their drivers that just will not work with Whistler scanners.
As far as I can tell the problems tend to be the ports on fairly new PCs and USB3 ports are the worst offenders.

I had to buy an older PCI-E card with USB2 ports on it for my desktop PC. The on-board USB2 and USB3 ports just would not work at all with my WS1088. (the motherboard has an Intel Z87 chipset).

My Laptop is slightly older and only the USB2 ports work with my scanner. The USB3 ports are no good at all.

I don't understand why but this is the truth.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
There are some USB ports and/or their drivers that just will not work with Whistler scanners.
As far as I can tell the problems tend to be the ports on fairly new PCs and USB3 ports are the worst offenders.

I had to buy an older PCI-E card with USB2 ports on it for my desktop PC. The on-board USB2 and USB3 ports just would not work at all with my WS1088. (the motherboard has an Intel Z87 chipset).

My Laptop is slightly older and only the USB2 ports work with my scanner. The USB3 ports are no good at all.

I don't understand why but this is the truth.

There maybe some truth to that but I use my USB3 port and it gets the job done most of the time when I had a pro-668 which is the same hardware inside as ws1080.
I say most of the time because there were times when it gave me fits connecting on the same computer I always used to update the cpu and dsp. I did everything I suggested and it has always eventually reconnected.

BrianG61UK

There maybe some truth to that but I use my USB3 port and it gets the job done most of the time when I had a pro-668 which is the same hardware inside as ws1080.
I say most of the time because there were times when it gave me fits connecting on the same computer I always used to update the cpu and dsp. I did everything I suggested and it has always eventually reconnected.

It did that multiple times?
Why did you put up with that?
Clearly it wasn't really working right.

ecarvalho

On the TRX-2 I own, to update firmware, I have the radio powered off, disconnected from the power supply. Then, using the USB cable that is connected to my computer, I connect the other end to the TRX-2 holding down the menu button at the same time. This puts my TRX-2 into firmware update mode.
The recent firmware update to 4.6 was emailed to me by Whistler. Worked flawlessly.

Perhaps is not the same with the TRX-1 model?

DJ11DLN

You shouldn't need to go into CPU update mode unless your first attempt failed and you were left with a scanner which doesn't hsve working firmware on it.

Just switch the scanner off, connect to the computer, wait for the computer to recognize the scanner and ask if you want to do anything with the files on the SD card, start EZ-Scan, and do the update.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I wasn't trying to be facetious. I have to do it that way with my 1098 every time and my understanding is that the FW update procedure with the TRX-2 is identical to the 1095/1098, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.