Can Pro-95 pick up Ohio MARCS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katmandu

I have a Pro-95.

Can it be programmed to pickup OHIO MARCS ??

I specifically want to monitor the OSP.

TIA

Katmandu

No. For the obvious reason that it is does not decode P-25 digital signals.
Larry
Thanks for your reply Larry.

I've been out of scanning for several years and I'm pretty lost.

I don't know what P-25 digital signal is (YET), but I will start researching it. I am technically literate, but very outdated.

What type radio and options do I need to monitor Ohio MARCS and the OSP ?

TIA

Last edited:
Last edited:

KB1UAM

also the home-patrol will do the trick, but i highly doubt you would want to wast 500 dollars, lol, for the more economical approach, i would go with the 106 also, or the pro-197 which is a base station, i would go for the 197, i am not too happy with my 106, the reception is terrible even with an external antenna

SAR923

Where are you seeing that info ?

My Pro-95 does pickup the MCSO and Piqua PD (which I want). But it appears I need to upgrade to a Digital scanner to monitor the OSP as well.

I think you misunderstood. The Pro-95 will still work with non-digital EDACS systems like the MCSO and conventional VHF frequencies like those uses by Piqua. It will not work with any digital trunking system, like the Motorola P-25 system used by MARCS and the OSP. If you get a digital truning scanner, it will also pick up all the things you can now hear with your Pro-95. Since Ohio is moving pretty rapidly to put most agencies on MARCS, you'll eventually need a digital scanner to pick up most emergency services.

N8IAA

I understood. I need to upgrade. Anyway have an inexpensive Pro-96 For Sale ?

You will not want a Pro-96 for the MARCS system. There are starting to switch to 700MHz Control Channels. The 96, however good it is now, won't be in the future. You will want to spend $399 at the shack, or shop online at Amateur Electronic Supply. AES Home page and get the GRE-500 with everything included: AC adapter, and USB programming cable. It seems like a little more, but actually is cheaper. Universal Radio near Columbus sells them also. Get Win500 http://www.starrsoft.com and you'll be set for a long time.
HTH,
Larry

Katmandu

You will not want a Pro-96 for the MARCS system.

There are starting to switch to 700MHz Control Channels. The 96, however good it is now, won't be in the future.

You will want to spend $399 at the shack, or shop online at Amateur Electronic Supply. AES Home page and get the GRE-500 with everything included: AC adapter, and USB programming cable. It seems like a little more, but actually is cheaper. Universal Radio near Columbus sells them also. Get Win500 Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners and you'll be set for a long time.
HTH,
Larry
Thank you for the info Larry! I "almost" bit on a Pro-2096 last night.

What is the significance of MARCS switching to 700MHz control channels ?

Any other model scanners than the GRE-500 handle MARCS (in the 700MHz range) ?

Thank you

N8IAA

What is the significance of MARCS switching to 700MHz control channels ?Thank you
The signifigance of the 700MHz frequencies, is that they are part of the rebanding of trunked systems. The 96/2096 can only receive the 700MHz band in conventional mode.
Larry

Katmandu

Well...I bit the bullet and bought a brand new Pro-106 !

I got it programmed for (2) local counties. Miami and Montgomery Counties here in Ohio.

All for $340 Shipped. :>)

Richardneu316

Premium Subscriber
Well...I bit the bullet and bought a brand new Pro-106 !

I got it programmed for (2) local counties. Miami and Montgomery Counties here in Ohio.

All for $340 Shipped. :>)

i got my GRE PSR600 shipped and programmed with 4 local counties and the Ohio MARCS for $399

Status
Not open for further replies.