Can somebody compare scanner sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

From what I'm reading in these posts most prefer the GRE to Bearcat for P25 because of decoding. My experience with RS analog scanners is some terrible floor noise. I can have stations a mile away with fantastic RF levels and there's always this shshshshshshshs going on in the background. My ham radio sounds beautiful with no noise; it's like they are sitting next to me. Also is a Pro197 identical to the GRE?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The Pro-197 was manufactured for Radio Shack by GRE America Inc. I always found better audio and less intermod problems with the Uniden over the GREs. I haven't had a RS/GRE lately to compare the P25 audio against the Unidens, but I receive P25 fine.

Bucko

The 197 is a GRE built scanner and believe it is pretty much the same as a PSR600. I have a 197 a long side a 996T (not the newer XT) and also a 396XT. The 197 does have to me a clear and louder audio on a P25 system and will hear those weaker 800mz before the 996T will using the same antenna. However the 396XT will pull those towers in like the 197. Problem though the 197 does have a selectivity issue with some close transmitters, especially high band. I have several GRE (RS) scanners but are older models like 2096, 2035 and 2006 for example and can't say I hear that shs noise for I still use my 2035 & 2006 every day. Maybe I am tone deaf from all the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.