Can someone explain why this is happening??

Status
Not open for further replies.

rja1

Premium Subscriber
I'm posting this here because it involves an SDS100, BCD996XT and a HP-1. I recently got an ICOM R30 to replace a R20. I listen to a statewide trunked system (https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6033) Here's my setup: DPD Omni-X antenna 25 feet of RG-11 into a PolyPhaser arrestor > Home brew High pass filter (I run QRO on HF) > Stridesburg 4 port multicoupler.
I have all three Unidens loaded with all the sites in the eastern portion of the state. The R30 has all the voice channels and alt CC's loaded for the same area. The ICOM hears a TON more coms than all 3 Uniden scanners put together. Right now, I hearing the Woodstock (Ulster county) voice channel on the R30 and all three Unidens scan right past the Woodstock site. I'm seeing 2 bars on the 996XT when I sit on the Woodstock CC. Can the R30 be THAT much more sensitive than the Unidens?? Once in a while the Unidens may pick up comms that the R30 is hearing, but not very often. Sometimes the Unidens scan right past the local site when it's active. The 996XT & HP-1 are better at hearing the local site (7 miles way) than the SDS100 is??
Anyone have a clue as to what's happening??

Thanks,
Bob
N2OAM

dfw1193

Yes the Icom is a professional grade receiver and its sensitivity far exceeds what Uniden could even hope for on its range of covered frequencies. You are looking at around .1 to .2 microvolts on the Icom to the 1 or 2 or greater on the Unidens. It also depends on your antenna as well.

So the sensitivity of the Icom is 9 db and greater than the Uniden's.

Ubbe

Icom scans the channels conventionally. Try doing that with you Unidens, only scan the voice channels conventionally and set to digital search, and it will be less prone to skip over channels and only does that if the squelch doesn't open. Then try P25 One Frequency system and add only the voice channels from one site and, if wanted during testing, the needed TG's with name tags. Compare to the performance when the system are programmed as trunked.

/Ubbe

Hit_Factor

Yep, my R30 has always got something to say.

I can't complain about my SDS100s, they pick up our statewide p25 very well, even when I forget to switch in the antenna.

Upman posted an explanation on the differences just a few days ago. I think it was in the Tavern.

Search for superheterodyne.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300 IC-PW1 ID-5100A ID-51A Plus 2 IC-R30 Hytera PD782G Kenwood TH-D74 Uniden SDS100 DVMega SDRplay RSPduo

Stecomp

As happy as I am with my SDS100 and Unication G4 at decoding simulcast systems, I would probably make the R30 my main mobile radio for this if it only trunked. The clean P25 decoding and great speaker sound, not to mention dual watch capability, makes this a a great receiver for almost all bands and modes.
Its surprising how well you can understand 2 separate bands being broadcast at the same time.

I find myself counting how long it takes to actually start up the SDS100 and 200 from power on. In my case about 12 seconds, whereas the R30 is nearly instantaneous.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
My R30 picks up P25 way better than my 436. A test you could try is set your Uniden on zip code, the 3 miles for distance. Or create a favorite for your area and try. But I think the R30 will do better. I almost purchased a SDS200 but went with the R30 to future proof my scanning hobby. If I had the bucks, would own the 8600 though. Only draw back for the R30 is no DMR. Reason why I kept my 436.

mule1075

Feed Provider
With encryption rolling out faster than phase II, moot point.
Actually no it is not. But believe what you want alot of places I visit have phase 2 systems mostly in the clear. So a communications receiver with all the bells and whistles does me no good if it does not do phase 2. But like I have said before buying one radio to do everything is a compromise anyway you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.