• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can someone ID this mobile antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

6079smithw

Hello all,
I bought some items at an auction and this antenna was in one of the boxes. I assumed it to be a 2m/440 dual-bander from the whip and the base but the connector has me puzzled. I'll plead lack of knowledge here since all my mobile FM antennas over the years have been NMO. Took pictures and submitting them in the hope someone in the vast pool of wisdom can steer me in the right direction.
#1 is the entire antenna.
The overall length is 29 inches in case the pic isn't legible. The coil is 3 inches long and is 9 inches from the base end.

#2 is a shot of the base...

#3, the connector. It fits the mini-uhf connector on my Motorola mobile radios and does a bangup job receiving. I didn't want to try xmit for obvious reasons.
I just bought another work car and this would be a perfect roof install if I knew where/what kind of mount to get. If someone could help an old guy learn a new trick here I'd certainly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance and 73 to all!

KI7SY Frank in Reno, NV

Attachments

• ant1.jpg
    ant1.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 459
  • ant2.jpg
    ant2.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 451
  • ant3.jpg
    ant3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 449

N2AL

Interesting. It looks similar to my Larsen antenna, but I know that it is not the same model.

byndhlptom

Identify antenna

I think you are pretty close to ......

looks like a cellphone antenna, probably was screwed onto a mag mount. Mini UHF was used on a lot of the bag phones in the analog Cellphone days

$.02

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
The element below the delay coil is about 7" long. Me thinks its a UHF colinear. 5/8wave over 1/4wave. If you can, put it on a mag mount and sweep it from 140MHz-2.5GHz with an Anritsu Site Master or similar instrument and see where it resonates.

My gut thinks it will be resonate between 400-470MHz somewhere.

EDIT:

I think it is MFJ-1729

Yea that looks like it.It makes sense, as it has a crappy SO-239/PL-259 mount. That type of mount is almost universally only used by ham-crap antenna manufacturers.

It is probably a shortened half wave on VHF and a 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave on UHF.

Although they do not specify if the gain figures are dBi or dBd, I would bet a paycheque that the gain figures on the MFJ website are dBi, as there is no chance that a shortened 1/2wave VHF antenna will have 2.6dBd gain. Subtract 2.15 from their claimed gain figures for real world dBd gain, Unity on VHF and just over 4dBd on UHF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.