Can someone please assist me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I've been scanning since Sept. 11, 2008 and I started out with a Radio Shack Pro-528 Triple Trunking scanner and always listened to JCPD while at work and even at home when preparing to go to work. I do contract security near the South District/Bayonne city line near the TP in Bayonne. I enjoy listening to the JCPD for personal reasons because I'm planning on becoming a police officer, passed the test just waiting now, but also for personal safety when the property is closed and nobody else is around and need to know what is happening in the area so I know what to look out for.

Now my question is I know the switch over occurred not too long ago with the conventional to the new system, but I took the control channels that were listed and tried adding them based on the trunking instructions my scanner came with. However, my problem is when listening all I hear is a bunch of static and howling sounds, no voices... kinda sounds like AOL when it used to start up, but a lot more annoying lol!

I was wondering if someone can assist me in programming my scanner, if anyone can give me any tips. I set up the control channel freqs as Moto-UHF because that seems to be the only way those frequencies will pick up without an error, so I know that part has to be correct, I just cannot get the voices to come through to listen. Out of curiosity, is the new system digital trunked, and if so would I need to upgrade my scanner software, or would I have to buy a new one in order to get the freqs to play correctly? My former boss, and security manager is having a problem as well with his Uniden (not too sure of his model number) and has tried getting friends who know about scanning to help him and no luck... if the scanner is a trunking scanner, isnt it digital as well?

I'd appreciate any help that anyone can give me. At the moment the only thing I can pick up is the HCSD and HCCF (Jail) and the FD... If anyone knows at least if my scanner is compatible I'd greatly appreciate it and thank you in advance.

SCPD

QRT
Hi, You need to obtain a Digital Trunked Voice capable scanner to monitor this system You can use a Radio Shack PRO-107, PRO-197, GRE-500, GRE-600, Uniden BCD396XT or BCD996XT.
Some older scanners you may obtain used to monitor this system are:
BC-296D, BC-796D, Pro-96, Pro2096, BCD996T or BCD396T

HTH,

Thx!

Thank you for your help, I am grateful for such a quick response. I did do some research on the Pro-96 and BCD396T scanners last night after I posted due to reading about many people using them. I definitely will be picking one up when I have the extra money. It's well worth it not just for entertainment purposes, but personal safety as well.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.