Can someone take 5 mins to help me with gps for homepatrol, PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wc8i

Premium Subscriber
I recently purchased a home patrol 1 scanner, I currently own other scanners like the uniden 396 and 2096, 96 so after getting this home patrol I, could not beleive how much it has, such as features, and receive to me, is out of this world, but, my question, is, do any of you guys use the gps yet, scanner world sells the kit for $79.00 now, but I called them, and they said call uniden, they dont no? called uniden, and they did not no? it the kit states, it will work with any scanner that requires gps, well im afraid to buy one, just to loose the money, so im asking some of you guys to help me ,maybe take 5 min of your time, and tell me how you got yours to work? and with what, cords etc I would need, . or did you buy the kit from scanner world . and how does it work? I travel alot and it would be nice to have the feature, , Please anyone that can help answer my questions, it would be greatly appreciated, god bless, and thanks guys and gals, Bill, Oh , please use this e mail address to reply to me,

nbohioham@yahoo.com

nbohioham@yahoo.com

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
In one or two sentences, exactly what question are you asking? I can't figure out exactly what you have versus what you need.

KE5TLF

Works exactly the same way it does with your 396.

396 DB9 cable < Null Modem < DB9 cable from any GPS that outputs NMEA 0183

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Hp-1

Works exactly the same way it does with your 396.

396 DB9 cable < Null Modem < DB9 cable from any GPS that outputs NMEA 0183

Did anyone else think it ODD that Uniden made the HP-1 GPS port the same as the old DATA port on the 396/996 line and changed the DATA port to a mini USB? The poster was correct the HP-1 with a standard GPS Puck Null Modem adapter with a programming cable form the 396/996 line set at 4800 Baud and it works fine. Hope the guy has the cable from a 396/996 because it isn't included with the HP-1. Surprise..surprise!!! They do include a standard USB to Mini USB for programming.

lowboy654

DB Admin Member
Database Admin

rwier

I bought this set up from scanner master its plug and play very simple you need the GPS puck and the kit at the bottom of the page, right now it shows out of stock check there a few times a day it changes by the hour, it come with a mile of wire and the connect set up could be better but it does work great.
GPS Receiver for Uniden Bearcat BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT police scanner radios.

I just ran across this:

Garmin OEM GPS 18x High-Sensitivity Sensor with Serial and 12V Connection (010-00321-34)

(Garmin OEM GPS 18x High-Sensitivity Sensor with Serial and 12V Connection)

Looks like a little cleaner setup, and shows in stock. Might work, whatcha think? Also, ran across some gps pucks in stock that output to usb. Any kind of an adapter to go from usb to the serial HP cable?

(I might have something confused in the above)

Thanks,
Rob

rwier

Also, if u like Amazon + free shipping, this might work? I have the adapter kit to get from the serial to the HP.

rwier

Agreed, I have two, and will hide one away for when I loose a part of the other, lol.

I thought I would get hooked up this afternoon, but my Etrex Legend has developed a dark (almost black) screen. Hasn't been used in 5 years, and then it probably set in the hot AZ sun for hours at a time. Think it got cooked.

Now I am now looking/shopping for the "Puck", and any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.