• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can someone tell me what I have here? 2 New Kenwood TK-890s

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ6HCB

Hi guys - Im a Motorola man, not a Kenwood guy so Im a bit confused as to what I have here.

Bought 2 Kenwood TK-890s - box marked H and HIGH so Im assuming high power. I assumed these to be complete radios - dumb me didnt check the box. Pictures are below.

kenwood1.jpg

kenwood2.jpg

kenwood3.jpg

kenwood4.jpg

So, it appears I have 2 new in box remote head radios... without the remote head or cable, correct? :roll:

Can anyone tell me anything about this setup, and its value? Thanks!

Last edited:

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
Found this on www.kenwoodusa.net

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Land_Mobile_Radio/Mobiles/TK-690-790-890

Brochure: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles...mmunications/LMR/Brochures/TK-690_790_890.pdf

Manual: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/UserFiles...ns/LMR/Manuals/TK-690-790-890_B62-0970-20.pdf

Yeah, looks like you got bodies only, heads are optional.

The 90-Series premium high specification heavy-duty mobiles meet the needs of public safety, public service, government, rail, transportation, utility and private industry sectors are available in dash mount, single head, dual head, dual band and dual head/dual band remote mount configurations. The dual head units are the perfect answer for fire, EMS, supervisor /command post vehicles requiring two full radio control points. The dual band and dual head/dual band allow seamless selection of channels on two different bands. All configurations offer a choice of 8 or 14-character high resolution backlit dot matrix LCD. The controls and customizable PF keys provide an intuitive user interface simplifying operation for all user types. The extra large capacity and dynamic channel group programming facilitate departmental, inter-agency interoperability, mutual aid and tactical channel organization. Encryption /ANI control permits basic to high level voice security and dispatch functions satisfying homeland security and confidentiality requirements. The DB-25 and 15-pin accessory connectors permit interface with data modems, headset/intercom systems, police motorcycle headset/PTT systems for vehicular installations or remote control termination panels for base/control station fixed installations.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Your picture shows a TK890 UHF medium power chassis. It also has the KRK-7DB remote dual band single head option installed on it. The KRK-7DB shown is for radio #2. If the other chassis is the same thing, then you have two radio #2 options (you can tell by the one hole labeled "to radio" only, a radio #1 would label both as "to radio" and "to control head"). It looks like it was assembled by Kenwood when ordered, and they would have stuck the control head in with the radio 1 chassis. The speaker and control cables are always in separate boxes. Somewhere are another two like chassis (VHF or LB) that really can't go together. Too bad.

Anyway, list price for that chassis is about $800. With the extra stuff, you should be able to get $300-$400 for it.

KJ6HCB

Well I offered them to someone who PMed me here for $100 a piece if he took both with free shipping, so I threw them one up on eBay starting at $149 with a buy it now of $189.... we will see where it goes. I will offer the 2nd one to the buyer at the same price as the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.