• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can the G5 Do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Can the G5 do this?.

My FD sends out alerts on 476.2875 analog using tones. Currently we have 5 different tone configurations for our town. The 476 freq hosts many other towns, but I do not want to hear those so I’m looking for tone discrimination. On the digital side all of our PD/FD/ Services are P25 digital.

I want to mount this in my car, wired to the ignition (with a delay relay to isolate from starting spikes), and have the radio automatically turn on/off when the car is started/stopped without my intervention.

When the radio starts up I want it to only monitor the 476.2875 frequency (with tone discrimination) for my towns Fire/First Aid Calls without having to press buttons to get it to do this. I then want the ability to switch it over to listen to the P25 traffic (top selector knob?).

I want to mount this in such a way that I don’t need to access it to turn on or off and only have to touch if I decide to switch to P25. I also want to route the audio to an external speaker.

Uniden scanners have FTO (Fire Tone Out) capabilities which give me the ability to filter the 476 freq for just my departments and P25 for police/fire/services but they have a flaw in that removing power from the unit and then repowering will return it to scan mode when it powers back on.

Can your radio be mounted in such a way that it will run off of car power and automatically power back on when the car is started?
Can it be set to default to monitor the 476 freq with tone discrimination and then have the ability to switch over to the P25 system if need be? As simple as this sounds. I have not found a radio that will do all of these things, which are

1. Allow install with no battery, or allow for a battery eliminator (Uniden can do this via usb on the 436)
2. Provide Analog tone discriminating filtering on 476.2875 for my 5 different department tone sets (Uniden can do this)
3. Can be installed in car with a relay circuit protected supply that will power off / on with the ignition (Uniden can do this)
4. Return to monitoring just the 476 freq with tone discrimination when power is back on (without having to turn the unit on/off in any way) (Uniden can NOT do this)
5. Be able to switch over and monitor P25 network when desired (Uniden can do this)

I watched a YouTube video where the guy was basically saying that there is a selector knob on top that could be set to monitor the FD’s analog on one setting and P25 digital on another. That sounds like it might work in my situation, but do you offer the tone discrimination that allows me to filter just my departments on the busy 476 frequency? As much as I don’t want to spend a thousand dollars to get a fancy plectron/scanner, your product is very modern and functional and would be worth the money if it does what I need.

phirephoto

Not really. You can use the G5 in the amp / charger, however it has a battery, so when you turn the car off (and cut power, the G5 will still be on, just not charging. Once you turn the car back on, it will resume charging. If your intention is to always have the G5 in the cradle / car, that's not an issue, but if not, you could grab the g5 and find the battery is dead since the car was off and the G5 wasn't charging. The G5 does two tone paging, so you can put in your frequency and two tone - I assume you mean two tone and not "PL" / ctcss tone.
The G5 uses a physical knob. You program say knob position one to be one thing, position 2 to be another, etc. So simply leave the knob in the position of what you 'want' the G5 to do...

Roveer

Not really. You can use the G5 in the amp / charger, however it has a battery, so when you turn the car off (and cut power, the G5 will still be on, just not charging. Once you turn the car back on, it will resume charging. If your intention is to always have the G5 in the cradle / car, that's not an issue, but if not, you could grab the g5 and find the battery is dead since the car was off and the G5 wasn't charging. The G5 does two tone paging, so you can put in your frequency and two tone - I assume you mean two tone and not "PL" / ctcss tone.
The G5 uses a physical knob. You program say knob position one to be one thing, position 2 to be another, etc. So simply leave the knob in the position of what you 'want' the G5 to do...

Yeah, my crazy desires to have a device that just turns on and of with the car is beyond most of these devices today. With a little help from the Uniden Guru's I got my 436HP scanner to behave the way I want which will power on and return to FTO (Fire Tone Out) mode which is what I was looking to do.

Basically saved a thousand bucks, but the G5 is a pretty nice looking radio and I hear the P25 decode is excellent. All these other scanners have crappy P25 no matter how you slice it.

Roveer

Status
Not open for further replies.