Can the RS PRO-164 pick up Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2001scoop

Feed Provider
Kendallville, Indiana recently switched to the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T System. The reason why I am asking is because I go to the tornado sirens in Kendallville and make sure they go off. I always have had the activation frequency which is analog. They test their sirens weekly so I went last saturday. I tuned to the usual activation frequency. Noon came along and the siren went off, but I didn't hear the tones. I really like to have the tones in my videos. Please help! Thanks!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Kendallville, Indiana recently switched to the Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T System. The reason why I am asking is because I go to the tornado sirens in Kendallville and make sure they go off. I always have had the activation frequency which is analog. They test their sirens weekly so I went last saturday. I tuned to the usual activation frequency. Noon came along and the siren went off, but I didn't hear the tones. I really like to have the tones in my videos. Please help! Thanks!
The short answer, in this case, is no.

While SAFE-T is a Motorola Type II system, which you can program into the Pro-164, the majority of the talkgroups, including the ones for your county, Wayne, are digital. Your scanner would be able to hear any analog talkgroups, but not the digital ones. Look at the "Mode" column in the talkgroup ID listings. Anything with a D is Digital, not receivable by your Pro-164. All you'd hear would be hissing or static sounds. The few that are Analog, labeled with an A in the Mode column, you could monitor. Anything with an E is encrypted, not monitorable with any scanner.

To hear the digital talkgroups, you'd need a digital trunk tracker. However, I would recommend checking for a possible change in the analog activation frequency. Those are more commonly paged out, as are fire tone outs, on conventional frequencies. The receivers for the tone outs, in general, do not work well on a trunked system, though the alert might also be simulcast on it in addition to being sent on a different channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.