Can this be converted for 2m use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron315

Grab y he necessary adapter required to hook it up to your scanner and use it there. The antenna works very well with 800 public safety.

KK4ELO

Thanks for the reply aaron. I will take this time to clarify, as i havent done yet. The area i live in is primarily all vhf. P.S., ham, you name it. So i am looking for a way to use it for that.

Sent from my gizmobob using encription captured from my new top secret scanner.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It'd probably work fine on 2 meters if you removed the whip and replaced it with a longer straight one. Somewhere around 18.5 to 19 inches total length should get you close. Double check with an SWR meter to be sure.

Taking old antennas and modifying them for the frequencies you want is a good option. What you need to watch out for is bases that have a coil inside. I don't think those do, so you should be OK.

KK4ELO

It'd probably work fine on 2 meters if you removed the whip and replaced it with a longer straight one. Somewhere around 18.5 to 19 inches total length should get you close. Double check with an SWR meter to be sure.

Taking old antennas and modifying them for the frequencies you want is a good option. What you need to watch out for is bases that have a coil inside. I don't think those do, so you should be OK.

Thats what i was wanting to know, thanks mmckenna. I have a whip cut at 19" and was hoping i could use the mag mount for it. I just wanted to find out if anyone knew if these had a coil in them or if it is just a magnet and the whip does the magic. Thanks again.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
For all your doing you will end up with a mismatched antenna
Hustler makes a nice $16 2 meters antenna

Hustler SF-2 Mobile Antenna

This antenna works great,had one for years!

Not necessarily. If it doesn't have a coil in the base, and I don't think it does, it can be converted into a 1/4 wave antenna nicely. No need to buy a new antenna. Part of the fun of amateur radio is experimenting and trying things out, not buying new purpose built stuff from a store.

Status
Not open for further replies.