Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
While I understand the T & XT version of Unidens have limitations, would it be possible during firmware upgrades to eliminate features to create additional room so you (owner) would be able to add features you would want. I was thinking of the 500 Talkgroup limit on Trunking systems. Since the Radio ID's firmware was added, i'd like to have more than that for a Trunking System I monitor. I'm assuming the reason was the scanner only supports a certain amount of memory and other features were added. Since I don't use alot of the other features (Close Call, Fire Tone-Out etc.), would it be possible to eliminate these features and add 2,000 Talkgroups to a single trunking system? Call it user select or something like that...just thinking out loud.

Eng74

It would be great to be able to drop the things you do not use. The only problem I don't think the part of the memory can be changed in that way and I think it is the FCC that stops that from happening.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Nope ... 500 is the limit.

Just make 3 or 4 systems each with 500 TG in them
The GRE/RS digital units can do about 1800 TG object/ (depending how many trunking objects freq you have in them).

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

The GRE/RS digital units can do about 1800 TG object/ (depending how many trunking objects freq you have in them).

I know that's the current limit, only due to firmware limitations. I'd give up Close Call, Fire Tone-Out, if this created additional room to add Talkgroups. It would be like cleaning up your hard drive in your computer to make it run more efficient. This would be per user, not that it would work for everyone. Just wondering if features could be eliminated to create room for additional items that a user may want.

N

N_Jay

While I understand the T & XT version of Unidens have limitations, would it be possible during firmware upgrades to eliminate features to create additional room so you (owner) would be able to add features you would want. I was thinking of the 500 Talkgroup limit on Trunking systems. Since the Radio ID's firmware was added, i'd like to have more than that for a Trunking System I monitor. I'm assuming the reason was the scanner only supports a certain amount of memory and other features were added. Since I don't use alot of the other features (Close Call, Fire Tone-Out etc.), would it be possible to eliminate these features and add 2,000 Talkgroups to a single trunking system? Call it user select or something like that...just thinking out loud.

Sure,

Just write your own firmware. ;)

The firmware and the programming are stored on 2 separate chips, so eliminating features won't help.

You sure?

cpuerror

I am pretty certain, I took some apart and looked up the chip numbers. The DSP/CPU has a 1MB of rewriteable memory, and there is another flash chip with about 2MB or something around there on the 996T. It was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact sizes but the two are seperate.

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Get a BCD396T. Those have a 200 talkgroup limit.

N

N_Jay

I am pretty certain, I took some apart and looked up the chip numbers. The DSP/CPU has a 1MB of rewriteable memory, and there is another flash chip with about 2MB or something around there on the 996T. It was a long time ago so I don't remember the exact sizes but the two are seperate.

Cool.

Was not arguing, just asking. Lots of designs use the on-chip memory sort of like a BIOS or Boot Loader, and the firmware resides out in system memory. But with 1 Meg on chip you are probably right, Of course I have been way far away from product design for a long time also.

sjlamb

This is the "workaround" that I have had to use. Not ideal but... workable. The radio ID feature was a nice add-on to the XT series but, the 500 TG per system limit became instantly obsolete for all but the smallest trunked systems for anyone who wants to tag an entire law enforcement or fire agency.

I only tag my County's Fire/EMS IDs (a mid-size TRS) and 500 TGs were exceeded in no time. Radio IDs are a GREAT feature.... and, 500 TG limits are a GREAT handicap to that great feature.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
This is the "workaround" that I have had to use. Not ideal but... workable. The radio ID feature was a nice add-on to the XT series but, the 500 TG per system limit became instantly obsolete for all but the smallest trunked systems for anyone who wants to tag an entire law enforcement or fire agency.

I only tag my County's Fire/EMS IDs (a mid-size TRS) and 500 TGs were exceeded in no time. Radio IDs are a GREAT feature.... and, 500 TG limits are a GREAT handicap to that great feature.

Yes, I agree with you here. Add this to the "it would be nice" category for any future upgrades, but not sure if it could be done. I have the system broken up into three. I'd give up alot of features I don't use if this could be done, but it doesn't appear it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.