Can this system be monitored with BC796D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

ke6jti

Hello all,

I am trying not to double post. I asked this question in a thread where they are discussing this system, and it was suggested I try here so:

I have been monitoring this system Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Trunking System, Livermore, California - Scanner Frequencies on a PRO-197 and that works fine. I would like to put this system(just one site) in a BC796D. Is this possible? I think it is but I can not figure out how to setup the frequency table with the info from Pro96com or the table from the Pro-197. The scanner will not take the base frequency of 382.75 and when the scanner finds the control channel it just displays DAT on the screen.

Any help appreciated.

Hope this is not an inappropriate question to ask here.

Bill

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I *think* so, provided you have the latest firmware installed in the 796d. Since this is a P25 system, it really doesn't need the real base/offset/etc. stuff in the table and it won't let you set 0 as the offset anyway. Just put in a valid UHF setup in there, it really doesn't matter what you use, just so the radio knows it is working with UHF, then put in the frequencies for the system in a bank and tell the radio it is a Motorola system, although of course it isn't. The radio will sense the P25 CCh and deal with getting the band plan from the CCh stream provided they are broadcasting it.

K

ke6jti

Thanks for the replay Lou.

I have tried what you suggested and the scanner just stops on the CC and flashes FM and then DAT but it does not follow the system. Reading the manual it seems that it should be able to track this system,but it doesn't. No big deal my PRO-197 does I just thought I could put it in the 796D also.

Bill

SCPD

QRT
You need to have the correct Base, Step and Offset for the system.
796D will not 'download' this information from the control channel on VHF/UHF P25 systems like the newer scanners.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
You need to have the correct Base, Step and Offset for the system.
796D will not 'download' this information from the control channel on VHF/UHF P25 systems like the newer scanners.
No, this is absolutely incorrect. avsfan33, you cannot set a P25 band plan in place in a 796D, as it will not allow the necessary entries in the table.

SCPD

QRT
No, this is absolutely incorrect. avsfan33, you cannot set a P25 band plan in place in a 796D, as it will not allow the necessary entries in the table.
Yes it will. You program it just like any other UHF Type2 system. The 796D will not 'download' the band plan from the control channel for a VHF or UHF P25 system.
Ran into this problem with Offutt's UHF P25 system and N-WIN P25 system.
There are a couple of other threads about people having the same problem.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
loumag and avsfan your both right...

however in this case since the 796 wont take the base freq (and there doesnt appear to be a workaround) then no it wont work.

have any other users reported it working on this system that the OP is mentioning?

normally the problem is with the high offsets of pure p25 systems (8000) and the 796 cant take them,

Status
Not open for further replies.